Moving to Cashiers area

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So the time has come, I have to move and I have found a great spot to live at 3000 feet elevation, however I currently live in Asheville at 2100, will my bonsai have a harder time or will they be fine ? the usda map of hardiness says its on the border of 6b and 7a, but where I will be living is still in 7a

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
They will probably need some time, three to four weeks or so, to adjust to different UV levels. Conifers might take a bit longer.
Since I'm at an elevation in the almost negatives, growing alpine species, I think the other way around would work just as well.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
900 ft change in elevation does not sound much. I doubt your trees will even notice that change but should adjust quite quickly.
I would only watch out for any species you have that are marginal where you are now. They may need more protection at the new location.
Remember that the USDA zones are just broad suggestions. Within each zone there will be pockets of warmer and cooler and sometimes substantial differences with site orientation, aspect and surrounding shelter or lack of it.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
You should be fine. My MIL lives in Highlands, and it gets a little colder in the winter, but this move is nothing your trees should notice.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would be more thoughtful about the difference in sun exposure depending on the species you keep. They may need some acclimatization time to different sun at different times of day. I had some tree pruning done last year that is really changing my arrangement this summer!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You’ll probably need more winter protection.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
When I moved from Athens, GA 676' to Asheville 2100', my maples loved it, thanks guys for the advice

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Micro-climates are heavily dependent upon little things like the direction sloping land faces towards the sun or away from it, exposed rocks modifying heat gain or loss, boxing-in by buildings or woods, prevailing winds sweeping uphill or downhill, springtime frosts in low pockets, ad infinitum. Geography is climate.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
didn't get the condo. There was a bidding war and I lost. Moving to greater Hendersonville for the time being

Top Bottom