Mugo Pine Progression

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The difference from 2017 to 2022 is impressive. I had no idea mugos could be developed that quickly.

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think it's totally dependant on climate. This tree did not like an August repot in VA but didn't mind March at all. More northern areas are different I'm sure. The one tree I've found that deals well with summer repots here is Crape Myrtle.
My opinion it is not especially the climate, it's what actions you take for aftercare.
I repotted in early summer, still thriving... but after care was
1) three weeks under 50% shade cloth
2) misting foliage 3 times/day
3) do not prune/decandle

To me, it makes sense to repot a mugo in early or midsummer, because that's when the roots are growing. So the fine hair roots that you lose during repotting are quickly replaced and so the mugo will recover more quickly. Not in spring, because all the energy goes into developing the buds to candles

cmu268

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Great tree! And really nice to see its progression and encouraging, as I picked up a Mugo Pine from a nursery a couple months back and going to do a hard prune on it shortly.

NateDyk47

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the progression thread! It really started to look good in 2021/2022 when it filled in.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
How is this tree after this last growing season?
Still doing well but I've been pretty slack taking pics this year. Guy wires are still on and it looks about the same.

Top Bottom