My 1st Successful Air Layer

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Just asking, why the fall?

Loose in the pot?
Well, I did wire the one long shoot to get some nice movement started, it'll be a future back or side branch/subtrunk.

I dont think either are loose in their pots, there was minimal movement during the sawing, but I was holding it firm and cutting slow and easy...

I figure if I get more growth between now and mid/late Sept, I can wire that out and cut it back to get it set up for next spring...though I will say, in general I dont like the idea of wiring in late fall. I think Sept is early enough though....but if it dies back next year, I will only wire in summer from now on.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Just curious ...I wire year round with no ill effects.

In the UK there's 'risk' to wiring some species during Winter. If you have a cold greenhouse it can keep the wind off your trees and prevent dessication of finer tertiary branching and the twigs connected to it. A frozen root system can't move moisture to these regions to prevent it from drying out.

Also during frosty days the possibility of pseudomonas syringae infecting newly wired maples increases. This bacterial infection can enter the vascular system during periods of crystallization via areas compromised by damage, eg untreated wounds, micro tears caused by bending or dieback. Wiring and hard pruning in Autumn as leaves are dropping in my climate allows me to see the branch structure well enough to make educated pruning decisions & give the tree chance to patch up those micro tears before the worst of the weather hits. Post defoliation is obviously another good time.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That elm is great choice for a first air layer. If you fail with an elm you know you have some serious issues to fix! ;) I wire American elms at any time, no problem. My usual issue is checking soon enough to avoid wire scars. They grow like crazy.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That elm is great choice for a first air layer. If you fail with an elm you know you have some serious issues to fix! ;) I wire American elms at any time, no problem. My usual issue is checking soon enough to avoid wire scars. They grow like crazy.
Haha! Thanks!
I hear ya, I guess I need to order more wire...

Fyi, also this is a Chinese Elm...maybe even stronger!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nice job, Wing! What's the purpose of the foil?
To keep the heat and light off the edges.
One month ago, about 1.5 months after starting the layer, I dug around and saw roots, but couldn't see any from the outside.
So I added the foil, and 4 weeks later, roots galore.

And thanks!

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
To keep the heat and light off the edges.
One month ago, about 1.5 months after starting the layer, I dug around and saw roots, but couldn't see any from the outside.
So I added the foil, and 4 weeks later, roots galore.

And thanks!
Coolio! Nice tip. Looking forward to seeing this one progress.

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Would you consider feeding the layer (foliar or root drenching), a diluted solution of seaweed and humic acid before winter? I've got one about to remove and I've been feeding the mother plant seaweed and humic to make it as healthy as possible. I've read that this combination helps protect the plant from stress. Maybe its too soon and the root are too fragile. Just throughing it out there as a possibility. What would @Bananaman do?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Would you consider feeding the layer (foliar or root drenching), a diluted solution of seaweed and humic acid before winter? I've got one about to remove and I've been feeding the mother plant seaweed and humic to make it as healthy as possible. I've read that this combination helps protect the plant from stress. Maybe its too soon and the root are too fragile. Just throughing it out there as a possibility. What would @Bananaman do?
I have been fertilizing it, lightly with fish while it was on the tree....and my normal doses of blue juice since the separation (weekly).
I haven't used the seaweed and humic acid products.

W.W.B.D. ?

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks for the pictures and info. You did a great job of turning one "good" tree into two "great" trees. CONGRATULATIONS!

Top Bottom