My Bougainvillea got a hair cut after surviving winter

Danteswake

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b-
I have some new ones ready to pop, I will try that. I agree with the species thought as they flower on new growth and my new growth always has legs. Thanks!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks. One more question. Ive seen many pics of Bougie bonsai and the flowers /brachs are in proportion to the tree. Mine are shooting out like 6 inches away. Does that come with refinement?View attachment 290355
No, it's cultivar-specific. There are thousands. Look closely when you buy them and buy what you want. Leaves reduce well by standard practices.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
@Cajunrider @Carol 83 Nice trunks on both! They grow like weeds here too. My husband just rooted one with a trunk that big from one that grew into a giant tree and it's budding. Did you grow those from saplings or buy it as a pre-bonsai?

They grow fast here. I imagine they do in La. too? I'm impressed yours is growing like gangbusters up north Carol.

I bought a purple pixie shohin sapling from Jason at Schely's and he said it was rare, the color that is. We'll see how it does. As far as colors go, I've seen them all here and I like the bright pink best.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
@Cajunrider @Carol 83 Nice trunks on both! They grow like weeds here too. My husband just rooted one with a trunk that big from one that grew into a giant tree and it's budding. Did you grow those from saplings or buy it as a pre-bonsai?

They grow fast here. I imagine they do in La. too? I'm impressed yours is growing like gangbusters up north Carol.

I bought a purple pixie shohin sapling from Jason at Schely's and he said it was rare, the color that is. We'll see how it does. As far as colors go, I've seen them all here and I like the bright pink best.
They do great here all summer. We have hot summers with stupid humidity. They rebel a bit when first brought in for the winter by dropping some leaves, but they bounce back and I always have a few blooms in the winter. I have a purple one, which has considerably smaller leaves than my others, but it is the least prolific bloomer.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
They do great here all summer. We have hot summers with stupid humidity. They rebel a bit when first brought in for the winter by dropping some leaves, but they bounce back and I always have a few blooms in the winter. I have a purple one, which has considerably smaller leaves than my others, but it is the least prolific bloomer.
I find that to be true of the purple, pale pink and white bougainvillea plants. The white grows incredibly slow and none of them bloom as much as the bright pink. I've seen them 'forced' with extremely heavy feeding but our hot pink ones bloom like crazy naturally.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I find that to be true of the purple, pale pink and white bougainvillea plants. The white grows incredibly slow and none of them bloom as much as the bright pink. I've seen them 'forced' with extremely heavy feeding but our hot pink ones bloom like crazy naturally.
Yes, my pink ones bloom the best also. I have a red one blooming now. I do favor the small leaves of my purple one, but it does not bloom as easily as the others.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Yes, my pink ones bloom the best also. I have a red one blooming now. I do favor the small leaves of my purple one, but it does not bloom as easily as the others.
Well, don't ever cut sucked into trying a white one. They're the worst. They are really heavy feeders but I don't want to have to feed bougainvillea bushes. It seems like overkill. I think of them as a plant that grows itself. I don't want to have to baby one.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Well, don't ever cut sucked into trying a white one. They're the worst. They are really heavy feeders but I don't want to have to feed bougainvillea bushes. It seems like overkill. I think of them as a plant that grows itself. I don't want to have to baby one.
No worries there, I wouldn't want a white one. I bought what I thought was a red crape myrtle. It bloomed white and I was very disappointed. I like more vibrant colors. Except for my Gardenia, I do love it. My moms favorite.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
No worries there, I wouldn't want a white one. I bought what I thought was a red crape myrtle. It bloomed white and I was very disappointed. I like more vibrant colors. Except for my Gardenia, I do love it. My moms favorite.
I'd like to see a pic of the gardenia sometime Carol. It's one of my favorites too. I don't think I've seen a bonsai gardenia in bloom. I don't care for white flowers either...usually. There are a few exceptions. I keep one white rose because it makes arrangements more dimensional to have them but I prefer brighter colors too.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I'd like to see a pic of the gardenia sometime Carol. It's one of my favorites too. I don't think I've seen a bonsai gardenia in bloom. I don't care for white flowers either...usually. There are a few exceptions. I keep one white rose because it makes arrangements more dimensional to have them but I prefer brighter colors too.
It's not a bonsai, just one of those braided deals from Lowes. I just bought it because it was my mom's favorite and they smell SO good. I did have a mame Gardenia bonsai, but we don't need to talk about that...............

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
It's not a bonsai, just one of those braided deals from Lowes. I just bought it because it was my mom's favorite and they smell SO good. I did have a mame Gardenia bonsai, but we don't need to talk about that...............
You made me laugh again...I won't mention it then. I don't think I've ever seen one so I'm guessing you're not the only one. They are wonderful and the smell is heavenly. We have an ancient jasmine and my husband wanted to get rid of and I fought to keep it. We're relandscaping and I'm grateful I won that battle. Have you ever smelled one? I love them too. Like the gardenia it's unforgettable.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
You made me laugh again...I won't mention it then. I don't think I've ever seen one so I'm guessing you're not the only one. They are wonderful and the smell is heavenly. We have an ancient jasmine and my husband wanted to get rid of and I fought to keep it. We're relandscaping and I'm grateful I won that battle. Have you ever smelled one? I love them too. Like the gardenia it's unforgettable.
I have a water jasmine, the flowers are very fragrant.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
There are tons of different kinds of jasmine. Ours is 'common jasmine' and has the strongest scent and little white flowers. I like them because when you take walks in the evening you smell them the most. It has a very romantic memorable scent...Lots of poems and religious connections to the jasmine plant. Jasmine smells like the south to me. It's even more common in Georgia and the Carolinas and I love the Blue Ridge mountain parts of those states. Summertime in those areas is beautiful! Summers in Florida are really kind of brutal, great for plants but not so much for humans.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Last push for flowers was sparse but still pretty. The long branches will be reined in come next spring. Right now they really help the trunk to get a bit bigger.
View attachment 400738View attachment 400739
For ramifying the bougie, I've been cutting back to about 1 to 1.5 inch from the branch Y splits. That gives each branch two internodes to develop buds. I then select the buds I want. Is that about right?

Top Bottom