My delonix regia lost all its branches

Ryleigh

Seedling
Reaction score
My delonix regia seasonally sheds all its leaves, which has been normal, and always grows them back. This time, it shed all its branches too leaving just the stem. It still seems alive and healthy, but I’m wondering if there’s anything I can do to help it?? The top where new sprouts grow has been a dark brown color for about a month and I don’t know if I should trim it or leave it alone. I’ve only been watering when I notice soil is dry so it’s not getting too much. HELP!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 35

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Don't do anything, just water when dry, the stem should sprout new in spring. Delonix can "take a vacation" by going dormant during cold periods.
What Leo said, walk on “eggshells” hehe!

Also it would aid in effective communication pertaining to your specific needs/situation if you’d update your profile information to reflect even a relative location.. it can be vague.. mine just says “NorthEastern Wisconsin”

🤓

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hey OL, these look pretty.. “pliable”. i am unfamiliar with the species.. but it appears that once, and most importantly, HEALTH is verified.. we can begin to discuss setting some basic movement?

Not now..

🤓

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If you go to the upper right hand corner and click on your Icon, you can add your location and people will be able to customize advice for you.

Ryleigh

Seedling
Reaction score
The brown color from the top is slowly moving down the stem.. is that normal??

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I lose the ends of all my branches every year, including the trunk. They die back quite a distance to a bud somewhere, I suppose, when they start to grow again. Or something like that. I've got ten+ years of experience with no flowers yet on a yellow one. (Copperpod) They look like shit all winter.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Did I mention that it's very upright? Here's a pic from 08/17. It's taller now.
Poi 20180417_165336 (2).jpg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
It will probably stop when it hits a healthy bud... I THINK he is saying to “leave it be”.. but NOT 100 percent certain.

🤓

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Sorry, wasn’t really serious about my remark. As others have noted, probable best to ride it out and see how it responds come spring.
I’m kind of a know-nothing skid. 😁
Oh yes! It “hit” me like an amputation joke.

🤣

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Use a cotton swab and dab glue on the end of branches so as to seal the cambium. Glue the whole cut and overlap on to the edges of the bark to reduce drying out of the cambium exposed at the edges of the cut.

Top Bottom