My first Chingwen Chen pot

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The colors on yours is very nice, but I couldn't begin to recommend a specific tree for your pot, I'm pretty color ignorant...:confused:

For mine, I'm thinking eventually a bald cypress or a juniper (I don't keep many conifers), something to compliment the reds and browns. I have a few purple leaf sand cherries I'm thinking about also, they tend to have very dark brown bark, almost black, and also can have fissured bark that I think would go well with my pot.

For that distressed and fissured texture he loves to use, I feel our pots definitely need something gnarly!

Do you have a tree in mind for yours?

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
For that distressed and fissured texture he loves to use, I feel our pots definitely need something gnarly!

Do you have a tree in mind for yours?
Yea and he does pull it off vary well. Where some of the darker ones with more rugged texture would love a gnarly pine, but then he also does these more of a cracked clay finer finish with great color/pattern/grain.

As for planned tree. It might end up with a crabapple depend on how they flower. That or possibly a Hawaiian umbrella. I could see the hint of the lighter green going well with their leaf color/shape.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I have 4 different Ching-wen Chen pots. Ms. Chen's first name is Ching-wen. She is one of the small group of women making bonsai pots in the USA. Others are Sara Raynor, Lynn August, Linda Ipple, & Karen Shuman. I think Karen is retired, but maybe not. Her husband passed away 2 years ago, giving her more free time again. Time will tell, look for Karen at Chicago Bonsai Shows.

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have 4 different Ching-wen Chen pots. Ms. Chen's first name is Ching-wen. She is one of the small group of women making bonsai pots in the USA. Others are Sara Raynor, Lynn August, Linda Ipple, & Karen Shuman. I think Karen is retired, but maybe not. Her husband passed away 2 years ago, giving her more free time again. Time will tell, look for Karen at Chicago Bonsai Shows.
Yes, she is vary talented. ;)

Reaction score
Check out April Grigsby too, her work is fantastic!

Isn't she @alohagirlpottery on IG or is she someone else? There's also Stephanie Walker, she makes great pots too.

In Europe there's quite a few; Carina Jern, Patricia Pas, Sabine Besnard, Nastja from Me&Raimondi, Elsebeth Bruun Ludvigsen, Petra Hahn, Petra Engelke, Maria Jose Gonzalez, Renske Jaasma, the lady from Makisada and many more. At least a dozen more, maybe even two dozen. Now that you guys brought it up there's actually a lot of European bonsai potters

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Isn't she @alohagirlpottery on IG or is she someone else? There's also Stephanie Walker, she makes great pots too.

In Europe there's quite a few; Carina Jern, Patricia Pas, Sabine Besnard, Nastja from Me&Raimondi, Elsebeth Bruun Ludvigsen, Petra Hahn, Petra Engelke, Maria Jose Gonzalez, Renske Jaasma, the lady from Makisada and many more. At least a dozen more, maybe even two dozen. Now that you guys brought it up there's actually a lot of European bonsai potters
I know who you’re talking about, but different person.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Ugh... I had a feeling that wasn't right when I was typing that :(

"Her" pots are beautiful and would love to have more!

Don't feel bad, I was surprised too, when I was corrected that she was a woman. I know nothing personal about her, other than I love her pottery.

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've been watching her auctions and I've been very impressed. Nice buy!!
Great! Another pot to buy!!
You really have to appreciate her pricing method too. It keeps the price down but still in demand for what she feels is a fair price.

Top Bottom