My Hollywood Juniper

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I think you could reduce the deadwood (jins) in the middle even more, just looks like too much for a tree that has so much deadwood on the trunk. In Nature, if that much of the trunk has been "weathered" the branches would be pretty much just stubs if not hallows.

I agree. I've been slowly whittling away at them for years now...every year I break one or two back closer to the trunk. The longish ones that are left will be 50% shorter sooner or later:D.

Stimmie1

Sapling
Reaction score
Everything takes time. Like I read earlier in your thread, it will hit you one day when you least expect it.
When you stare at the same trees for months, some things are difficult to see.
Its looking better compared to your earlier photos. Keep up the good work.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like the candelabra style a lot and would go that direction with your tree. I think you'll need to considerably reduce the profile of the foliage though - visually, I think your problem at the current stage is that the foliage mass is competing too much with the dead apex. The challenge will be to push it back a lot closer to the trunk and thin in out as grouper52 mentioned.

Take a look at Harry Harrington's site - go to the very bottom for an example of a bonsai in that form, as well as a tree in nature in that form:

Thanks for the post, and the link. Yes, that's the problem with the canopy as it stands, and its made worse since I've been reducing the deadwood, therefore making the canopy visually much stronger. I'm thinking that getting a smaller needled foliage, like shimpaku, on the tree, would help...

Mojosan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dave,

I'm certainly no expert, but to me the dead upper trunk is much too prominent, and dominates the visual. Maybe reduce that upper trunk considerably?

$.02

Attachments

• juni.jpg
    juni.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 103

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Dave,

I'm certainly no expert, but to me the dead upper trunk is much too prominent, and dominates the visual. Maybe reduce that upper trunk considerably?

$.02

This post finally drove home what I think you've all been telling me since the beginning...The deadwood and the trunk have/are/will continue to compete with each other until I commit to one or the other as being the focal point of the desiqn. Mojosan, your virt actually looks pretty good...definetely an option to consider. I'd hate to lose the deadwood trunk, though, and I can't grow it back. I'm inclined right now to reduce the number of pads as a first step, but not right now. I'm going to continue staring at the damn thing for a few more months...maybe take it to a workshop with one of those left coast master types later this spring. I really appreciate everyone's thoughts on this.

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you should pull the living apex over in much closer to the dead one. Perhaps cut a wedge in the base and really pull that thing in so it partially obscures the dead wood, perhaps sightly behind it as well. I like the reduced deadwood as well and the idea of really shortening those branches and reducing the foliage. This would I think give the impression of an old tree.

I would not reduce the number of branches, just make them smaller in the foliage department.

Nice job so far.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the post, FMM. I'm likely to reduce the canopy before reducing the deadwood further. I'm not sure how successful I will be in doing that without removing some smaller branches, as Hollywood needles tend to be larger and coarser. We'll see...

Stimmie1

Sapling
Reaction score
See what Ted has to say about it next weekend. He is honest.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi Dave..Long time not talk....The tree looks good..even the way it is. This growing season will probably help this tree achieve it's final look... Of course, we all seem to be trying to achieve that perfect/better look and final display so to speak. Sometimes, I think that we spend so much time trying to create an image, that is almost takes away from the some of the enjoyment..:D

On another note. I have noticed a correlation between you moving to Georgia and the fact that they are getting snow strm after snow storm and freezing temperatures.. Did you miss New England so much that you took part of our weather with you...lol...:D

Rob

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi Dave..Long time not talk....The tree looks good..even the way it is. This growing season will probably help this tree achieve it's final look... Of course, we all seem to be trying to achieve that perfect/better look and final display so to speak. Sometimes, I think that we spend so much time trying to create an image, that is almost takes away from the some of the enjoyment..:D

On another note. I have noticed a correlation between you moving to Georgia and the fact that they are getting snow strm after snow storm and freezing temperatures.. Did you miss New England so much that you took part of our weather with you...lol...:D

Rob

Hey, Rob, thanks for the post. This is another tree you might have seen at the Wednesday nite workshops a few years ago...I know John has seen it. I'm certainly happy with how it's progressing, and I've certainly recieved some great advice from everyone here. I actually tweaked the foliage a bit today...it'll get there.

As for the weather, yeah, it's almost like I never left...except they don't plow the roads here:mad: Talk to you soon.

Dave

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I did a little more thinning of the canopy over the weekend, and re-potted into it's new pot today (70F this afternoon:):):p). Hopefully, I'll see Ted Matson this weekend for a critique. I'll post what he says next week, assuming I make it there.

Attachments

• DSCF0811.1.jpg
    DSCF0811.1.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 124
Reaction score
Hi Dave,
Ted Matson is a great teacher. I think you'll really enjoy him. A good communicator. Say Hi to him for me if you think of it. I don't get to see him here on the East Coast much.
John

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
John, I'll make sure to say hello to Ted for you if/when I see him. I did a workshop with him last year and enjoyed it quite alot. Unfortunately, my in-laws are here for a few weeks, so I wasn't able to commit to the workshop this time. Take care,

Dave

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So, Ted Matson was the guest artist at the Atlanta Bonsai Society club meeting this month. This tree, along with several other nice trees, was offered up for critique. I was pleased that Ted critiqued/discussed my tree with the crowd for over 30 minutes. He was happy with the style and weight of the canopy at this point, and discussed the typical ways that Hollywood foliage grows, giving great insight into future pruning techniques to increase the ramification without increasing the foliage mass. He also spent time discussing the deadwood/jin/shari, recommending only to blunt the sharper edges on the more recently carved wood. He liked the tree quite alot, but the biggest compliment he gave me/the tree was comparing it to those of Dan Robinson, saying that it successfully conveyed the image of an ancient tree on a mountainside that had spent hundreds of years growing up, then dying back, but living on. I thought that was pretty cool:).

Last edited:

serpentsgarden

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-7
what i saw today

I saw a huge douglas fir that could be the big twin of your creation. I wish i had my camera because it could give some insight. Even if it a s juni they had the same structure. I think the tree is coming along well. And with time you will find the right balance in what you are doing. It is nice material in the hands of a skilled artist. Pictures of work like this press me to strive harder to refine my own bonsai to more pleasing sight. I would think the first pictures that a few years of work and it is well on its way to being a masterpiece and well worth going into an established collection. I have always loved maples but junipers are seeming to catch my eye more. Thanks for sharing

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I just finished some mid summer thinning...despite the wiring, re-potting, and more wiring over the last 10 months, this tree continues to be very vigorous. The wire will come off this fall, then I'll tweak the foliage a bit.

Attachments

• DSCF0916.1.jpg
    DSCF0916.1.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCF0915.1.jpg
    DSCF0915.1.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Reaction score
dav4, nice juniper !!! How do they deal with the heat ??? I have alot of parsons and shimps, and was wondering if hollywoods needed any different, or special care...

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks, Stacy. Hollywoods are heat lovers, as far as I can tell. This tree grows like a weed here in GA, and I've seen them planted in the landscape at Disneyworld in Orlando, FL. I would assume they would take full sun in your neck of the woods, but they'd probably do fine being treated like your other junipers, again assuming you provide some mid afternoon shade. All my junipers get direct sun from 11am till 4pm, dappled shade otherwise, and do fine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom