My hornbeam.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Really coming along nicely. I was told to defoliate my KH last year, and it didn't respond well, so I won't be doing that again. Glad to see yours handles it well.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Really coming along nicely. I was told to defoliate my KH last year, and it didn't respond well, so I won't be doing that again. Glad to see yours handles it well.

I use leaf cutting on my hornbeams myself ... along with a deep trim it seems to work wonders and the trees don't get stressed out...

this tree is looking good after the work ...

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, instead of wiring over the past couple weeks, I got to dig post holes and put in a fence. I did give it a bit more triming, and now the second set of leaves are emerging. I think I love this tree.

Dave

Attachments

• hornbeam.jpg
    hornbeam.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 91

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Beautiful! Very natural, good foliage coverage; not too dense. Is it getting a bonsai pot soon?

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks, BVF. I have maybe a couple ceramic pots that might work, but if not I can get it into a mica pot for sure come spring. Then after that I should have a better idea about the roots and can start shopping for a "final" pot for a few years down the road.

BTW, your maple looked great, definitely keep the branch.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks, BVF. I have maybe a couple ceramic pots that might work, but if not I can get it into a mica pot for sure come spring. Then after that I should have a better idea about the roots and can start shopping for a "final" pot for a few years down the road.

BTW, your maple looked great, definitely keep the branch.

Thanks, funny, I ended up removing the bottom quarter of the branch about a week before the show, probably as far as it needs to go for a while.

Top Bottom