My new project

roelex14

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just got this azalea from the nursery i work at, was interested in this one bc it had 2 main trunks, i dont know if they share the same roots or not, most likely. Just wanted to know if anyone had some good ideas for this plant?
plan to do some heavy pruning soon.
let me know, all advice is greatly appreciated!
thanks!

Attachments

• 100_1224.jpg
    100_1224.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 100_1226.jpg
    100_1226.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 100_1228.jpg
    100_1228.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 58

roelex14

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
well, just decided to go to town on this bad boy tonight
I've never seen a pot so root bound in my life. took a good 30 min to get down to the tap root and enough soil off it to get it in to its new growing pot.

any advice would be awesome (i mean any)

thanks everyone!

Attachments

• 100_1236.jpg
    100_1236.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 36

pwk5017

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
I think next spring you should really mess with the root ball and go down a couple inches to see if you can expose some form of a nebari. I have been repeatedly surprised by nursery azaleas, so i hope you will have the same luck. Second, you need to figure out if those trunks ARE connected. If not the one on the left is very tough to work with. However, the trunk on the right has some potential I believe. You pruned pretty hard for this time of year. I am not sure your new growth will have time to harden before winter comes. You certainly had the right idea. I cut back all my azaleas very hard for an initial styling. I hope you get alot of back budding. Like I said, you need further exploration of trunk and nebari before you think of a final design.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These trunks are not connected. They're separate plants...

roelex14

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
yeah, i was getting frustrated with em, so i just kinda crammed em in a pot, will prob go back and knock down the soil level and def trim more growth back. im gonna have quite the weekend, 4 more plants just in from today :D

roelex14

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
went back and dug down a bit, not much but a tangled mess. i think if i let the soil settle a bit some roots will breach the surface. And if these 2 were not originally 1 plant, they are now. bc even if i wanted to take them apart, i wouldn't be able to, their roots are interlocked like no other.

took off about 2-3 inches from the bottom of the root ball.
did some more pruning, prob all the more im gonna do this season unless anyone recommends i do anything else (which would be great!)

thanks for the help so far guys

Attachments

• 100_1246.jpg
    100_1246.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 100_1249.jpg
    100_1249.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 20

roelex14

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i might just have to grab another one from work tomorrow and start from scratch. wut u think?

Top Bottom