My newest Little Boxwood.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice one! Looks off to a good start. It being Alaska, I’d imagine winter could arrive any minute now 😜

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
As I’m not familiar with your climate do these survive out there? Or do you have some sort of cold frame?

Alaskanrocket

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This will be their first winter here. I have a place that stays around freezing for most of the winter but when the temps drop below -20 outside I’m not sure how cold it will get. So, while I do some temp testing over the winter these will live in a fridge in my garage from October to March. I’m still pretty new to actually trying to keep trees alive ver the winter here. It’s going to be tough, but can’t be impossible. Just need to figure a system out.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This will be their first winter here. I have a place that stays around freezing for most of the winter but when the temps drop below -20 outside I’m not sure how cold it will get. So, while I do some temp testing over the winter these will live in a fridge in my garage from October to March. I’m still pretty new to actually trying to keep trees alive ver the winter here. It’s going to be tough, but can’t be impossible. Just need to figure a system out.
Do you have a detached garage and/or a shed? Keeping in a fridge sounds like a recipe for failure, to be honest.

Alaskanrocket

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you have a detached garage and/or a shed? Keeping in a fridge sounds like a recipe for failure, to be honest.
I do have a shed but we get weeks of -10 to -30. I’ve read where a nursery in Scandinavia refrigerated trees in winter and didn’t have any issues.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I do have a shed but we get weeks of -10 to -30. I’ve read where a nursery in Scandinavia refrigerated trees in winter and didn’t have any issues.
Oh wow, that is cold 😅

Fridge might work with very attentive care. Don’t let it dry out in there! I guess you have to get creative if it is -30 for weeks!

Alaskanrocket

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh wow, that is cold 😅

Fridge might work with very attentive care. Don’t let it dry out in there! I guess you have to get creative if it is -30 for weeks!
I knew getting boxwoods was going to create a problem but I’d really like to try and make it work.

Top Bottom