My Shimpaku projects

vbakatare

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
This will be my documentation of my upcoming shimpaku projects. I bought 2 shimpakus from Brent at Evergreen Gardenworks. They will be shipped next month. Can't wait!

Things for me to plan out:
Style
Not sure what style to do yet, due to not seeing the tree yet.

Sunlight
Planning on putting them in partial shade to acclimate to my area. Then move to full sun and to continue letting them grow untouched(as much as possible)in the containers for a year to prevent any shock as much as possible. If I have to prune, (i.e. to prevent inverse taper), I will.

Watering
Since I'm planning of leaving them in the container for stability, and I'm unsure of soil composition, perhaps once every other day? if someone has bought from Brent, can you share some light on this matter?

I will upload photos when I receive them

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What size trees are these? One gallons or specimens?

Brent uses pine bark mix with something else for aeration if I remember correctly. you’ll have to check to see if it needs water instead of relying on a schedule.

vbakatare

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
What size trees are these? One gallons or specimens?

Brent uses pine bark mix with something else for aeration if I remember correctly. you’ll have to check to see if it needs water instead of relying on a schedule.
gotcha. it says a 2 3/4" pot so im assuming a one gallon

Also, the thought did come into mind if maybe I should slip it out of the pot and put it in a grow bag to promote more feeder roots? or will it stress the tree?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
gotcha. it says a 2 3/4" pot so im assuming a one gallon

Also, the thought did come into mind if maybe I should slip it out of the pot and put it in a grow bag to promote more feeder roots? or will it stress the tree?
2 3/4 is just that, that’s how many inches wide it is. It will be a small whip and planted in bark and perlite. Probably needs water every day. Pot it up in the spring, no pruning, but you should wire the trunk to add some movement for later.

vbakatare

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
2 3/4 is just that, that’s how many inches wide it is. It will be a small whip and planted in bark and perlite. Probably needs water every day. Pot it up in the spring, no pruning, but you should wire the trunk to add some movement for later.
cool thanks for the advice! like I said I'll update this thread when I receive them.

vbakatare

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
20211017_100022.jpg20211017_100056.jpg
Received my Shimpaku on Friday. I slippotted from a 2 3/4 in pot to a 4 in. Will be placing under shade cloth until it's acclimated to my weather. Should I keep it there until spring? Or should I move it to full sun?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
These are hardy from 4a to 9b. Isn't Lost Angeles closer to Hell than that? They are full sun and I don't think you can substitute hot winds for sunlight, but then what do I know?

vbakatare

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
i
These are hardy from 4a to 9b. Isn't Lost Angeles closer to Hell than that? They are full sun and I don't think you can substitute hot winds for sunlight, but then what do I know?
I'm in 10b. Do you think it should be fine in full sun from the get go?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Someone from there would know, not me. It probably would just force you to have something else that we can't have here. No matter where one is, we lust for something from over there, wherever there is.

Top Bottom