Native Azalea

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

I was looking around a local nursery yesterday and came across this native azalea (Rhododendron periclymenoides). Something about the way the 2 trunks flowed together caught my eye, so I bought it. When I got it home I decided to transfer it into this training pot (with as little root disturbance as possible) and style it. I guess I'm looking for some feedback on this guy. Be easy though, I'm a newb.

Has anyone ever used this species for bonsai? The foliage seems well suited. From a design standpoint, where would you go with it? I'm wondering if the right hand trunk should be the taller trunk and should I work towards that goal? The lowest right branch is not as long as the branch above, so I think that needs to be corrected. When it comes time for a pot, what type of pot do you think would suit it best?

I have an affinity for native species so this one really piqued my interest. Thanks for looking.

Jester217300

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
It looks like a good buy, a decent twin trunk with the start to a good nebari. If you're eventually trying to create a tree with convincing proportions as found in nature you're going to have a difficult time using the top 80% or more of this plant in the final design. That being the case I'm not sure it's worth it to wire anything yet.

There are a few approaches to material such as this. I would say it's a little too young and still needs to grow. If you can put it in the ground that will develop it the fastest but I'd still give it 5-10 years or more ground growing to get the trunk as thick as possible. Be on the lookout for where your branches are developing.... you may need to lightly prune to prevent the formation of obverse taper and may even be able to start a new trunk line by wiring juvenile growth and keeping it pruned back, effectively treating the current trunk line as sacrifice branches. If you choose to grow it out there won't be a lot of hands on time for a while and you should invest in more material at various stages so you have something to do year round.

Here's something I picked up recently for comparison... quite a bit older but even so I am not working the tree at all this year.

Attachments

• CrDy93wh.jpg
    CrDy93wh.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 1tUMAv8h.jpg
    1tUMAv8h.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 29mbEU6h.jpg
    29mbEU6h.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 59

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I am guessing you do not want to ground grow it for a 100 years and honest that is fine. Many have small Bonsai in all proportions. If so you seem to be off to a good start and the only thing I can advise now would be to spread a layer of chopped sphagnum across the top of the substrate to encourage that decent root system to spread out on top. I also always advise to let it grow for a year before doing any serious work to learn the needs of the plant. Do not keep it wet but do not let it dry out. It is not unusual to wire up even smaller specimens and I see no harm in it at this point. You may actually be saving yourself some headaches if you have a good feel for where you want to take it. Enjoy!

Grimmy

Edit: If you want the right side taller spin it 360!

Last edited:

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The deciduous azaleas tend to keep their foliage in tufts at the end of branches. Way out with nothing in close. I agree, let it grow and establish in the pot this year. In 2 or 3 years repot again and remove all the nursery soil and replace it with your favorite bonsai mix for plants that like neutral to acid soils. I use 60% perlite (coarse, sifted, average 1/8 to 1/4 inch particle) and 40% similar size Kanuma. You could substitute pumice for perlite, and there are many good mixes that use other ingredients than Kanuma. Use what is locally available to you. Key is the mix should be coarser than one would expect if you looked at how fine the roots are. Definitely top with a layer of long fiber sphagnum to hold the soil down and keep the top layer moist for the fine surface roots. It really helps. Don't repot every year, they need a year or two in-between to grow.

Once you have a well established plant that is healthy enough to take some abuse, try a total defoliation (remove at least 90% of the foliage) after blooming, prune and wire at this time. The defoliation will help induce back budding. If you leave too many leaves, you won't get back budding and risk loosing the branches that have little or no foliage in favor of the ones that still have leaves. That is the reason to nearly totally defoliate. You can leave a few leaves on branches that are weak and you want to keep. Definitely defoliate the strongest branches. This treatment is not for every year, something you do maybe once every 5 years if you need to force back budding. If it back buds enough for your design vision without defoliation, no need to do it.

Hope that helps. I don't think deciduous azalea will tolerate laying branches down below horizontal the way a Satsuki will, they like to be upright, but your initial design heads that way, so you have a good start. Personally, I don't think heavy trunks go well with this type of azalea, so I would not shoot for a "sumo shohin" style. Hope it grows well for you.

Last edited:

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the responses! Yes, the thin trunks don't bother me on this plant. I will add the sphagnum to the top of the soil as you guys suggest and let it grow out for a couple years before messing with the roots again to get it established. Hopefully I can get some back budding too.

When it does come time for a new pot I was thinking something round or oval and pretty shallow to go with the graceful curves in the trunk. If the plant is well established and healthy at that point, will it take having the roots cut pretty drastically in order to get it in such a shallow pot?

Also, what kind of feeding routine would you follow with this azalea?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would make a choice on a pot next season after it is established and you have learned the plants needs. You might find that you will want to change it a lot and whatever you buy now may not be suitable next season. My Azaleas, Quince, Cotoneaster, Crape Myrtle, Japanese Holly, Boxwoods, Burning Bush, and Honeysuckle all get a heavy Spring dose of 20-20-20 and for the entire season only seem to need a healthy portion of Osmocote Smart-Release applied a week or so afterwards one time. It will depend on your substrate for certain.

Grimmy

Top Bottom