Need bag to protect foliage of collected trees during transport. Don't know what they're called.

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
How do I buy something when I don't know what it's called? The problem is how to protect a tree's foliage during open air transport for a couple hundred miles. Wilt-Pruf is great, but is only part of the solution.

Isn't there a bag or wrap that I can use on a tree to protect it from hours of open air highway speeds?

I may as well ask if there is something to protect a tree's foliage from sunlight during transport. I feel it's all related.

My last drive home started at dusk. No heat from direct sunlight. But I should be prepared.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I've found that shade cloth provides good protection when transporting in open vehicle. I use it when moving larger trees in leaf. The woven mesh deflects and slows wind while not flapping like solid materials do so much easier to wrap and secure.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Jute bags can even be wetted, and breathe freely. But the threads can be an issue because they'll latch on to the branches and bark.

andrewiles

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When I'm transporting collected trees I put them in the large 50 gallon drum bags from Home Depot. If the trees are dry I throw in a cup or two of water. After tying the bags off the humidity inside quickly rises to 100% -- you'll know from the condensation visible inside -- and the trees are happy for as long as needed. I've never had trouble with wind damaging the trees with this approach, though they are usually somewhat protected by the cab of the truck.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
When I'm transporting collected trees I put them in the large 50 gallon drum bags from Home Depot. If the trees are dry I throw in a cup or two of water. After tying the bags off the humidity inside quickly rises to 100% -- you'll know from the condensation visible inside -- and the trees are happy for as long as needed. I've never had trouble with wind damaging the trees with this approach, though they are usually somewhat protected by the cab of the truck.
Hours at highway speed and I would definitely go with plastic - shade cloth and jute will definitely protect, but nothing will block 100% of dessicating wind like plastic. I use 55 gallon "construction debris" bags from Home Depot - I haven't been able to find anything thicker. If I need larger, I cut them on the seam with a razor and tape two together with gorilla duct tape.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I use the same bags from Home Depot, They work fine for protecting all but the largest trees I collect. They are also great for enclosing the root ball, wrapping tightly with electrical tape and can take some abuse when needed if dragging the tree through bog areas. Truck with higher canopy is best though!
I use a spray water bottle to mist trees before enclosing in a bag of any sort. Also in the root ball if the substrate is on the dry side. Great extraction tool for us older folks is a plastic children's toboggan. Narrow and easy to drag a couple of trees out of the bush.

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Burlap works as well. When I worked for a landscaper that's what they used.

Top Bottom