need bonsai mentor

GrmReaper327

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi, so I've been into the art of bonsai for a long time, I've done alot of research but for some reason I can't seem to even get a sprout. I've tried different things from buying starter seed kits, buy seeds from seed dealers, and have tried a number of different germinating techniques. since my research hasn't helped me so far I figured it was time to get help from real people with real bonsai experience.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
Most folks buy (or collect) already established plants, trees &/or shrubs and train them into bonsai. Some do enjoy growing from seeds, but most bonsai trees that you see were not trained for that from day one.

I don't mean to discourage you from trying seeds (though it sounds like that path has been frustrating so far). I just want to point out that if you want to get going with some trees, it's pretty easy to skip that step.

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Grm,

I've taken a class at Rosade Bonsai Studio up in New Hope and it really gave me the confidence and knowledge to jump in with both feet. Previously, I stuck to killing tress one at a time :) Chase Rosade is super knowledgeable and its worth the trip (about an hour depending on where in Philly you're from).

The closest active bonsai club that I know of is The PA Bonsai Society. http://pabonsai.org/ They meet out in Plymouth Meeting. I have not yet been to one, but intend to soon.

CW

GrmReaper327

Seedling
Reaction score
"Maybe it's because you're the grim reaper"

Haha yea im starting to feel that as soon as I toucha seed it just wants to die.

Unfortunatly I work a full time job and my hours wouldn't allow me to have time to join any kind of club. This forum is as much of a club as I can handle Currently although I would like to go to one eventually.

Im also aware that alot of people start from existing plants, I personally just like to be the master creator with anything that I do.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
You DO realize that it will be AT LEAST 5 and probably 10 years before you can do ANYTHING bonsai to a seed you sprout?

Zerojoke

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm in Pennsylvania myself, it's actually a great place to do bonsai. I've never been to Chase Rosade's studio, but I've heard good things. A little farther afield, in Harrisburg PA, you have Jim Doyle's "Nature's Way Nursery" which has excellent trees for sale and top notch bonsai-ists visiting all year. Walter Pall, Mauro Stemberger, Marco Invernizzi, Sean Smith, Colin Lewis all come through regularly. Then you've got great bonsai clubs all over the state, including in Philadelphia itself.

GrmReaper327

Seedling
Reaction score
I have seeds completely as side projects... if it were the only thing I had, I would get discouraged from the start. Buy yourself at least one tree from a regular nursery with a trunk that is the size you want so you can actually do something to it.

I may just do that, any tips on growing from a seed though?

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I use the warm water scarify and fridge stratification for 3 months, and then to little pots at cuarter inch depth...

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I may just do that, any tips on growing from a seed though?
Depends on what type of seeds/cultivars you are working with. Some need extended periods of time in a freezer prior to starting up etc. Conifers vary from maples and other deciduous trees.

GrmReaper327

Seedling
Reaction score
Depends on what type of seeds/cultivars you are working with. Some need extended periods of time in a freezer prior to starting up etc. Conifers vary from maples and other deciduous trees.

I was hoping to try a Japanese maple. Do you have any experience with these?

EDIT: bloodgood to be exact.

Last edited:

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I was hoping to try a Japanese maple. Do you have any experience with these?

EDIT: bloodgood to be exact.
I do not, but use the search feature on this forum and you should see numerous threads and posts that with assist and guide you.

I would also recommend getting some pre-bonsai stock or bonsai starts so you have something to play and learn on.

Good luck.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I honestly don't know the answer, but can you grow Bloodgood from seed? Or are the seeds just regular palmatum.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have bloodgood seedling growing in the ground under one of my landscape bloodgoods. I chop it back every year to develop some taper.

My advice? Don't grow bloodgood Japanese maple if you intend on making a bonsai. The leaf is too big, and the internodes are too long. I mean, if you are willing to wait a decade to have a tree, at least use a cultivar that makes decent bonsai!

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
so you tried growing blood good j. Maple from seeds and nothing happened?
Where did you get the seeds?
Do you know if they were fresh?
Did you scarify?
Did you stratify? If so how long?
And what conditions did you plant out the seeds? Soil mix? Temperatures?

Answer these and we might be able to see what may have gone wrong.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You said you have been trying to grow bonsai for a long time-----how long a time is a long time? Lets figure out why you cannot grow a tree or why you do not have one to work on. I suspect you are having watering problems.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My landscape Bloodgood drops seeds, and they just grow. I pull up most of them as weeds. A few I'm cutting back to see if I can make a trunk out of one or two. I'm not expecting much. From what I can tell, the seedlings are similar to the mother tree in leaf size, color, and growth habits.

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you like the look and shape of the leaves on the bloodgood, I'd suggest finding another cultivar that looks similar but might be better for bonsai. If you look at any nursery that specializes in j. maples, some of them sell literally hundreds of different types of j. maples. Any reputable bonsai nursery sells a variety of j. maples too, and this is your best bet for stock.

You're in PA and I think that Nature's Way with Jim Doyle is close to you, and Meehan's Miniatures is in West Maryland and is excellent.

I don't think that you can grow cultivars from seeds, you'll get regular j. maples, not the bloods. I have never tried, but that's what I've heard. The only way to get cultivars is to do something like take cuttings/air layers.

Good luck!

Top Bottom