Need help making decisions for potential flattop

David Nelams

Seedling
Reaction score
I will obviously remove the bottoms new growth. I think I know or at least have an idea of which ones to cut but because I have very limited knowledge I don’t wanna cut something that would take away from the idea I have planned. I’m new at this so please go easy on me.. lol

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I will obviously remove the bottoms new growth. I think I know or at least have an idea of which ones to cut but because I have very limited knowledge I don’t wanna cut something that would take away from the idea I have planned. I’m new at this so please go easy on me.. lol

Welcome to the nut house! We need picks bud

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
@BillsBayou is the BC man.....one of many here.

I have one, a Wal-Mart rescue from last year.
I did a trunk chop and major root pruning in the same day. It bounced back nicely, though I dont know what I want to do with it yet.
If you're pruning branches, I'm sure before or after repotting is fine.

Personally, I always do all top work (wiring, pruning...) before a repotting, so I don't have to mess with a freshly repotted tree.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can't go wrong cutting it back after it grows.

Sorce

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I just repoted almost all of mine and will let them recover and grow out before chopping back probably mid-summer. Once they defoliate I will wire them. Look for the recent post on how to get ramification in BC and always cut back to get bifurcation and balanced branching. Read the Bonsai files on bonsai-south.com Zach knows hiw to develop BC.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
There are others who could give better answers. I don't see much taper, from thick diameter trunk to slender trunk in the size I would want for a bonsai. So to thicken up the base, keep the lower branches. When in doubt, let it grow out. I would just pot it up to the next size up of nursery container and give it another year or two.

But, a better set of photos would help.

Set the tree on a table, chair or bench. Use a piece of cardboard or bed sheet or something to make for a single color backdrop. Light colored backdrop, is best for seeing branch structure.

Take the photos such that the lens of the camera is horizontal to the top rim of the pot. Stand far enough back that the whole tree is in the frame. Then take a close up of the trunk, level with the rim of the pot. One shot from all 4 sides would be helpful, or a short video of the pot being rotated 360 degrees.

Then wait for Bill's Bayou or @rockm or @Mellow Mullet or any of the other bald cypress aficionados that know more than me to respond. It may take 2 days, this is repotting season, some of these guys are busy

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would NOT trunk chop this tree. There's a pretty good skeleton for a flattop there already. I'd shorten all the top branches by 2/3 or more. I'd saw off the bottom 2/3 or more of the root ball then take a hose to wash out all the existing soil. Then choose appropriate roots...That upward turned knuckle emerging from the soil between surface roots is a prime candidate for removal. You're looking to create flat root mass with untangle, unconfusing roots that emerge from the trunk naturally.

I'd also remove all those bottom shoots and reduce that lateral branch you've wired to within an inch of the trunk. That reduction will give you a base to work a branch from. It is a mistake to think that flattops have all their branching at the top of the tree. Older BC that have become flattopped tend to have older lower branching, just not a lot of it. The way BC works is they grow as pyramid triangle-shaped trees as youngsters. The old they get, they push more growth at the top, which overshadows the lower branches. Lower branching (a lot of it, or all of it, depends on the tree) dies off. Some older lower branching can remain, but it's often busted or not dominant. Lower branching can be incorporated into flattopped bonsai BC.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
... ...but because I have very limited knowledge... ... ...I’m new at this so please go easy on me..
Hello.
I hope you will not mind me asking if this is a "wired" branch? wiring.jpeg Or my eyes are deceiving me?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would NOT trunk chop this tree. There's a pretty good skeleton for a flattop there already. I'd shorten all the top branches by 2/3 or more. I'd saw off the bottom 2/3 or more of the root ball then take a hose to wash out all the existing soil. Then choose appropriate roots...That upward turned knuckle emerging from the soil between surface roots is a prime candidate for removal. You're looking to create flat root mass with untangle, unconfusing roots that emerge from the trunk naturally.

I'd also remove all those bottom shoots and reduce that lateral branch you've wired to within an inch of the trunk. That reduction will give you a base to work a branch from. It is a mistake to think that flattops have all their branching at the top of the tree. Older BC that have become flattopped tend to have older lower branching, just not a lot of it. The way BC works is they grow as pyramid triangle-shaped trees as youngsters. The old they get, they push more growth at the top, which overshadows the lower branches. Lower branching (a lot of it, or all of it, depends on the tree) dies off. Some older lower branching can remain, but it's often busted or not dominant. Lower branching can be incorporated into flattopped bonsai BC.

How to develop decent trunk and "flat" top at same time:confused:?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I was looking online and run across this picture, may be can help to have an idea on the way to go.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    171.7 KB · Views: 40

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The first 3 images are of a 1300 year old bald cypress in southern Illinois. Note what Rock was saying, there are a few low branches. Also, at least in this area, the bald cypress do not necessarily develop a ''flattop''. And even in Florida, where the ''flattop'' is more common, it is more often a low dome, rather than a linear flat top. Although I have seen a small percentage that actually do have flat tops. But bald cypress can have many ''natural'' shapes, naturally. Click on thumbnails to enlarge.

cypress1300yr-old-2.jpg cypress1300yr-old-3.jpg cypress1300yr-old-4.jpg

the trees ahead of the canoe, and my niece, are all bald cypress, 100 to 500 years old

DSCN1758.jpg

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
From what I can see from your pictures, the bones of a decent flat top are already there, and you've just got to begin developing the pads with judicious wiring and pruning. Here are a several famous flat tops to study... Vaughn Banting's flat top and another example at the NC arboretum...
[uik2OuS.jpgus_nat10.jpg

Top Bottom