Need help on trimming Jm. Brand new on this Hobby!

daygoboiz

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The OP’s tree is already pretty much in full leaf, I’d say it’s too late for him unless he has the necessary after care down 100%.

Trees don’t understand Gregorian calendars, it may seem early in spring but if a tree’s growing it’s already on its way for the season
If I can be super careful repot without cutting or moving the original soils and let it grow till summer, and ill trim it by then would that be ok? Thank you for the help!

daygoboiz

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The OP’s tree is already pretty much in full leaf, I’d say it’s too late for him unless he has the necessary after care down 100%.

Trees don’t understand Gregorian calendars, it may seem early in spring but if a tree’s growing it’s already on its way for the season
Now I know why my maple looks different from the other ones I've seen online because the shipper is from California zone!

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If I can be super careful repot without cutting or moving the original soils and let it grow till summer, and ill trim it by then would that be ok? Thank you for the help!
I am.not sure I know what you mean by super careful. It is all fairly subjective. Wait until spring to repot.

Keep it outside when you can. You can protect from snow this week by bringing inside but if it is above freezing keep it outside.

If it grows well you prune towards the end of spring.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you are interested in trying to repot a tree perhaps get some garden junipers from a box store for practice.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
It is usually Ok to transplant any time if you don't cut or break too many roots.
Not sure what you will find when you move the tree, depends how long ago it was repotted and conditions since then.
Even if it has new roots and the new soil drops off that won't hurt the tree. Transplant gently and refill around the roots gently so as to not break too many of the new roots and it should be OK.
Not even necessary to cut the container. Place fingers over the soil around the trunk, turn the whole thing upside down and gently remove the pot whole. Some soil is sure to fall off but that doesn't matter to the tree. As you turn the tree back right side up more soil will probably fall off - again no problem provided most of the roots stay.
I would avoid using chopstick when filling new soil. Just press it gently in place with fingers to avoid damaging any new roots then water the soil and it should move into any spaces left.

daygoboiz

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I am.not sure I know what you mean by super careful. It is all fairly subjective. Wait until spring to repot.

Keep it outside when you can. You can protect from snow this week by bringing inside but if it is above freezing keep it outside.

If it grows well you prune towards the end of spring.
Thanks for the advice!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The shipper for this jm is from California, so I just received the jm yesterday and I had it in shade outdoor in the am and bring it inside at night. We are having 85 one day and tomorrow it will snow till Monday night. So I was worried about the fluctuating climate that's why it is indoor. So I just keep it outside with the snow tomorrow? Thank you Paradox!

No. If its going to snow....(holy cow 85 one day, snow the next).... I would bring it inside too

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thank you for your feedback. Would it be ok if i just carefully cut the container and place the tree in a pond basket surrounded by akadama, pumice and lava stones without utting or messing with root systems?

What is the soil it is in now like?
If it was recently potted as you say, it will be very hard to slip pot it without all the soil falling away from the roots.
If it is in potting soil and you just put it in a pot with akadama, lava and pumice around it, the difference in soil composition will cause problems/
The lava, akadama and pumice will dry out a lot faster than the potting soil.

daygoboiz

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
It's just in potting soil. At home the soils I have are miracle gro moisture control potting soil, akadama, lava and pumice. I reached out to the seller from california but he's not replying to which soil or when he repotted. I was hoping to put it a 10in pond basket so it has room to grow for the next few year. But if it isn't good for the jm I guess the only choice is to leave it as is. Hopefully I can shape it sometime soon in the future!

daygoboiz

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
No. If its going to snow....(holy cow 85 one day, snow the next).... I would bring it inside too
Crazy April midwest weather lol. Hopefully this would be the last snow showers were having soon!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It's just in potting soil. At home the soils I have are miracle gro moisture control potting soil, akadama, lava and pumice. I reached out to the seller from california but he's not replying to which soil or when he repotted. I was hoping to put it a 10in pond basket so it has room to grow for the next few year. But if it isn't good for the jm I guess the only choice is to leave it as is. Hopefully I can shape it sometime soon in the future!

Leaving it in the pot it is in should be fine for a year and you can repot it next spring at the proper time.
Just be careful of the watering with it as potting soil will tend to stay wetter

daygoboiz

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Leaving it in the pot it is in should be fine for a year and you can repot it next spring at the proper time.
Just be careful of the watering with it as potting soil will tend to stay wetter
Thats what I'm worry about too, with the rain outside being in spring could be days was another reason I wanted to put in the pond basket.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thats what I'm worry about too, with the rain outside being in spring could be days was another reason I wanted to put in the pond basket.
You can always do something to keep it from being rained on. Like put something over it to keep it from getting wet.

There is no good answer here to be honest.
Look, its your tree. If you feel keeping it in the potting soil is more risky than repotting at the wrong time of year, then repot it.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
In a sense, you are picking between the better of two evils - either leave in non-ideal soil or do work at the wrong time. Doing work at the wrong time can harm or even kill your tree. Leaving it in potting soil for another year will have basically no adverse effect, just don;t water it like it's in bonsai soil.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The potting soil isn't a death threat for this tree. The pot this is in is fairly deep that will help it not stay too wet. If it were a shallow bonsai pot that would be a different situation. The pot appears at least as tall as it is wide. This isn't a crisis particularly if the potting mix is fairly new and drains well.

Top Bottom