Need help with Fukien Tea Tree

Tsparks90

Seedling
Reaction score
I recently just bought the beautiful tree about 2 weeks ago, when it arrived it had a lot of foliage on it. But I had to repot being that the pot it came in was fully damaged. So I repotted in so we’ll draining bonsai soil. It was doing good for the first several days, then all of the leaves started falling off. The soil is moist but not to moist, and the water drains perfectly. Don’t know exactly what I’m doing wrong. Or if it is starting to die. I slightly scratched a small portion of the trunk and it’s still green underneath. I’m in Arizona so don’t know if it’s too hot here for it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 21

BonScience

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
IDK too much about these trees. Been avoiding them because i heard they are very temperamental about everything but just got one on the cheap at walmart and figured i'd give it a go.

From what i can see, and what you've explained, i think it might be on its way out. That soil needs to dry out fully before you water it again (use the chopstick/bamboo skewer method. poke one in the soil, leave it for a few minutes and make sure the top few inches of soil are dry before watering again) and it will need a lot more light than what it looks like it's getting in that picture. If you have a south facing window or a heavily shaded area outside, that's where i would put it unless the AZ temps are above the 90's. try and keep it warm but not hot. Good luck, i think there might be a slim chance it survives but don't be surprised if it doesn't :(

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ive had this same exact problem. I repotted in spring and i havent had growth all summer. And its been outside 🤷‍♂️ not sure whats wrong with it either. Its still green as well.

BonScience

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Everything i've read said these things were really bratty, i'm afraid to repot mine but the pot is so freakin ugly!

If you still have leaves but no new growth that's not necessarily a bad thing. These things come from big box stores with barely any roots so once they have a year or so to establish roots i think you'll see more growth.

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would keep watering it as appropriate and hopefully you will start to see new leaves come out in the coming weeks. My ficus dropped 2/3 of its leaves when I brought it inside last winter and never really recovered until this summer. I’m guessing it dropped its leaves from the stress of shipping and repotting.

CarpenterDiaz7

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If the tree was shipped, proper method is to let the tree acclimate to its new surroundings. Some say 2 weeks, others 4-6, myself I like 4 weeks, and that's 4 weeks of just looking at it and caring for it. Then depending on what type of tree and season then I'd be thinking of repotting. If for some reason the tree needs to be repotted, then a simple slip potting method should suffice. I've learned that when repotting it is important to care for the roots if you're also trimming. My guess is the tree was in shock and then it didn't like the repotting process. Water it lightly and keep it in some shade and hopefully it'll bounce back. I had similar issues with a fukien and looked terrible but when summer hit it started to grow and flower so much! I actually also bought two from Lowes repotted them and they didn't make it, actually still in pots, but will remove them soon.

waydeo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Keep the soil moist ,not wet . They are a tropical . Mine likes being in doors , it has tiny white flowers and new light green leaves . I put it outside on a covered porch earlier this summer . It didn't like that location, had a lot of leaves drop off. Let it rest in the new pot and see how it does.

Top Bottom