New and brought a Ficus Microcapra Ginseng from IKEA

brandc

Seed
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've recently been looking into getting started with an relatively straight forward bonsai tree to get started with, some of the prices were quite shocking and I happened to spot quite a nice tree while in IKEA. It's quite big actually but loved it as soon as I spotted it. I've had it in the same spot since buying and as winter is coming in (UK) temps are about 2-10C outside so it's indoors.

The issue I'm having is it's loosing quite a few leaves every day, the book from IKEA says leaf drop is normal after a recent move can any one confirm? I keep checking the soil to see if it's still moist and it looks as though IKEA have recently put it in this pot as it still has a ring around the old soil and the new? The soil directly around the trunk is lighter and I'm unsure when is best to water I've read if I put my finger in to about the first knuckle and it's damp it's still okay?

It's positioned at the back of the room with a fairly big bay window but reading a few posts alot of people say directly infront of the window may be better?

Another thing is the trunk is really green as you can see in the picture I'm guessing this is not normal if not how can I fix this?

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It is normal for ficus to drop leaves after a big change in environment. Do put it right in the window--the biggest problem with indoor bonsai is getting enough light.

If the soil is moist just under the surface, it does not need water. You can also push a wooden chopstick or dowel into the soil and leave it overnight. Pull it out in the morning and if it is damp, then the tree does not need water. Put it back in the soil and check it every day. When it is dry, water the tree.

The green color of the bark is unusual, but probably nothing to worry about. My guess is that the tree was grown in a very humid environment before you got it, and the green is algae on the bark.

Your goal this winter is just to keep it healthy with enough water and light. Anything else should wait until spring when the weather is warm enough for the tree to go outside for the summer.

Top Bottom