New Bonsai Garden Display Progression Thread

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I agree with making the sides irregular. I think that would lend a more natural feel.

This is coming together very well, I’m jealous! Looks like a really fun project.

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am now trying to figure out the best way to provide sun protection. I only have deciduous and so my Japanese maples and hornbeams will need some coverage starting next month. I have a few ideas in mind.

The first is to build a small pergola over 2-3 of the benches with a narrow frame. The benches are oriented North-South so this would block the midday sun while still allowing morning and some afternoon sun (the fence will block some afternoon sun. I can image a single 6x6 on the end of each bench at around the 8 foot height mark with a cross beam and about 3 feet wide pergola struts. Something like this picture that I found online.

1557192021091.png

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Idea number two is to build a more traditional square style pergola that covers one bench and a couple of monkey poles next to the shed. This would be a larger structure around 10-12 feet on a side. This would cover far fewer of the benches but would be more established and allow for better sun during the Spring and Fall months when the sun is at a lower angle. I worry that I wouldn't get enough sun protection to the remainder of my trees and if I extend too much further then it may be too visually dominating.

1557192379474.png

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The third idea is to build a triangular shaped pergola on the south end of the benches. This would provide coverage for 1.5 benches while still freeing up the monkey poles. It might also provide a more interesting visual appearance since it would be a bit more unusual in shape. This would provide more of a gradient of shade to the 3 benches. Structurally though I worry about supporting all the weight on just 3 poles though.

1557192908266.png

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These are the three main options that I am considering. My goals are to provide adequate shade coverage in NC to my shohin and deciduous trees, while also having a permanent display that looks good year round.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Lars. Love what you’ve made so far. And can’t wait to see what you come up with next.

Shade is so dam crucial for me here in NM. I really like the first idea as I feel there is more versatility long term. If you don’t mind me adding my 2 cents ( I’m sorry if you do?) You may even consider extending or cantilevering one side of the pergola a bit farther than the other for better coverage. It really only requires tying the short side back down to the base of the post, or somewhere mid length. Here’s a pic of a covering I put over my deck a few years back that shows in dramatic fashion what I’m talking about. 41D0BF8F-AF51-47DC-A315-4F88B4C7F450.jpeg6DDCA240-E326-48E6-A594-57B0A2F0DE7B.jpeg
The other is a shot over my benches with the same principle. Though I plan on tweaking the design here soon for increased coverage.

Meh

Mame
Reaction score
5. Set up at least 2 irrigation zones so you can vary the water schedule. Automatic watering is convenient, but I find that my conifers get overwatered, and my deciduous trees get underwatered. I am modifying my soil mix to account for it.
Brian, what type of irrigation system do you use? I have been looking at installing simple drip lines and just wrapping the hose once around each pot, but I am sure there are more elegant solutions...Thank you for your time.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
D

Deleted member 21616

Love your set-up @Lars Grimm

Have you thought about adding a kind of pergola-type extension to the top of your fence, without the cantilever that would go into the neighbour's yard? This would be minimally invasive and cost effective. I attached some of the inspiration photos i've been saving for myself in case i go that route

I'd love to use a setup like that, but I am worried about fungus if I constantly water the leaves on my maples

I've been looking into irrigation over the winter. everybody i spoke to has no issue at all with watering their trees top to bottom (the trick is to make sure water also gets past the leaves and onto the soil)

I constantly

"constantly" is probably hyperbole, but would you be relying on the system daily, or only turning it one when you are away from home?

Attachments

• IMG_0371.PNG
    IMG_0371.PNG
    199.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0372.PNG
    IMG_0372.PNG
    252.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0373.PNG
    IMG_0373.PNG
    269.7 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0374.PNG
    IMG_0374.PNG
    206 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0375.PNG
    IMG_0375.PNG
    265.2 KB · Views: 65

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Have you thought about adding a kind of pergola-type extension to the top of your fence, without the cantilever that would go into the neighbour's yard? This would be minimally invasive and cost effective. I attached some of the inspiration photos i've been saving for myself in case i go that route

I only peripherally thought about it, but I couldn't find any good pictures. These are really helpful. Let me think about it further.

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"constantly" is probably hyperbole, but would you be relying on the system daily, or only turning it one when you are away from home?

If I am going to the effort of building a full watering system then I would probably use it every day. I have two young kids so time savers are really helpful, especially for my smaller trees. My setup is small enough that on vacation I can get away with a sprinkler after pushing all my trees together.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I'd love to use a setup like that, but I am worried about fungus if I constantly water the leaves on my maples.
Well, fortunately that hasn’t been a problem in my garden; maples or otherwise. I do know that they tend to get a bit overwatered when I use the system, so when I am home I try to shut it off and hand-water. The timer is set to run once in the AM, and again in the middle of the afternoon, so nothing goes to bed wet, unless it’s raining.

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, fortunately that hasn’t been a problem in my garden; maples or otherwise. I do know that they tend to get a bit overwatered when I use the system, so when I am home I try to shut it off and hand-water. The timer is set to run once in the AM, and again in the middle of the afternoon, so nothing goes to bed wet, unless it’s raining.

Hmm, I would argue that it is due to the difference in zone, but you are probably just as humid in Alabama. Do you have a really aggressive anti-fungal program? I basically just have one main trident that gets beat up every year.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hmm, I would argue that it is due to the difference in zone, but you are probably just as humid in Alabama. Do you have a really aggressive anti-fungal program? I basically just have one main trident that gets beat up every year.
Why argue, you haven’t even tried it yet.?
Yes, I do apply fungicides regularly and aggressively I suppose. I also water at 8:00 AM and 2:00 PM, so the leaves are dry before they are watered in the AM and dry again by nightfall. And like I said, I do prefer to hand water when I’m home, so I usually shut off the system when I am here, and turn it back on before I head out of town.

KLSbonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Lars, Rain Bird has several options if you are set against standard spray nozzles. They have several patterns of micro sprays that you feed from a solid drip line. You add 1/4" spaghetti tubing from the drip line to the nozzle which is either inserted into the pot or you can create a way to attach it just outside the pot. You can see the different products on their web site. You can order from sites like sprinkler warehouse or another web based store if you don't have a SiteOne or irrigation supply house near you.

Top Bottom