New Crabapple - Thoughts?

tylerwdesign

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I bought this crabapple at an auction a few days ago. It has some pretty bad structural flaws, but I got a good deal on it, especially considering I like the pot. I had a few questions and was looking to see if anyone had any thoughts on what I should do.

I'll start with saying I know this isn't likely to end up being a stellar tree. I have some great childhood memories of crabapple trees and it's a tree I've wanted to own since getting into bonsai. I am very new to bonsai (at least in practice), so I thought it could also be a great tree to learn a few things from. I have no knowledge of anything done to this tree before it was purchased, so making sure the tree is healthy will be my first priority before I do any major work.

The first question I have is about the weirdness going on at the bottom of the trunk. It seems to be a failed ground layer? Will any of the bark grow back on this area over time if cared for properly?I was thinking I might want to ground layer in the same place eventually, but that will be a little further down the line. I can deal with the funky trunk for the time being.

My thoughts were to change the front, remove some branches, then possibly ground layer the trunk or doing some carving. (see one of the last images below). One of the larger branches has a pretty large reverse swell a few inches up, so I was thinking that could be a decent candidate for an air layer. I figured it was a good learning opportunity, since I was planning to remove that branch anyways. (Picture below for this one as well.)

Any other thoughts you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_5359.jpgIMG_5360.jpgIMG_5361.jpgIMG_5362.jpgIMG_5363.jpgCup Option.pngAir Layer.png

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks to me like the base was covered in soil or moss for too long and stayed so wet that it messed up the bark. I would let it grow for now, and see if the bark can recover, looks like the roots are pretty nice actually. I would pick picture #4 as my front and get rid of the straight trunk on the left. I would not bother air layering, unless you want the practice, as it's just not that interesting of a branch. Crabs are best when they are lumpy and gnarly looking like old orchard trees if you want my opinion.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In your climate, I suspect you might experience mildew and a host of insect infestations. Avoid placing too close to any Junipers. Possibility of Cedar Rust issues.
Full sun will help a bit to keep fungal issues at bay.
If it was mine, I would bareroot next spring, and I'm talking 0 soil left. Then see just what is live root and what's dead, top to bottom.
Air/Ground layer? Grow this tree for a little bit and learn how it grows in your yard before you go trying advanced techniques.
Have fun, with proper care, crab apples are strong, vigorous, hardy trees....:cool::cool:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
In your climate, I suspect you might experience mildew and a host of insect infestations. Avoid placing too close to any Junipers. Possibility of Cedar Rust issues.
Full sun will help a bit to keep fungal issues at bay.
If it was mine, I would bareroot next spring, and I'm talking 0 soil left. Then see just what is live root and what's dead, top to bottom.
Air/Ground layer? Grow this tree for a little bit and learn how it grows in your yard before you go trying advanced techniques.
Have fun, with proper care, crab apples are strong, vigorous, hardy trees....:cool::cool:
Yes LanceMac10 is correct about the many pests and diseases that crabapples have ongoing challenges with. I make sure to keep up on fungal spraying and watch carefully for aphids, and the many caterpillars that love them.

Top Bottom