New Japanese Cherry - Looking for some opinions

Oz_Fox

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This interesting Japanese cherry was hiding in the back at a local bonsai show today, got it for a very good price!

I think it has some great movement but it’s fairly thin and elongated. Potential to remove lowest two branches and move towards a feminine literati reaching style. I’d like to keep that main trunk movement without sacrificing, any advice on best approach?

D29885AC-C152-42E8-81F0-DBD88BAC8805.jpeg

8B64A13F-E3C5-4A08-BBAC-07E67BD8E54B.jpeg
Inside for a few pictures, outside now, planning on letting it just grow out to thicken, any suggestions welcome!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I agree with your idea for the tree moving forward. I would be tempted to keep one of the the lower branches and make it into a two trunk intertwining or at least echoing movement in the upper tree.

Oz_Fox

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I hadn’t thought of the intertwined trunks but I like that idea! I was hesitant to remove the middle branch because there’s not a ton of foliage on the tree all around, your idea might allow me to keep it!

For now probably not going to cut anything, see if that lowest branch can help thicken the lower trunk. Maybe if it develops well I use it instead of the middle.

Thanks for your input!

Top Bottom