New JWP turning completely brown?

TONY MAMOUZELOS

Sapling
Reaction score
I bought a Sohin JWP on ebay about a month ago. It spent eight days in transit to NY. When I got the tracking info, I expressed concern to the seller, and was told that it would be fine, that they have shipped hundreds of trees in the same manner, without a problem. In fact the tree looked fine when I received it. Now about 5 weeks later it is mostly brown, and brown needles are dropping daily. Is it a goner? Or is it possible that the buds on it will grow in the spring??? I would appreciate some feedback from those of you who have experience.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I bought a Sohin JWP on ebay about a month ago. It spent eight days in transit to NY. When I got the tracking info, I expressed concern to the seller, and was told that it would be fine, that they have shipped hundreds of trees in the same manner, without a problem. In fact the tree looked fine when I received it. Now about 5 weeks later it is mostly brown, and brown needles are dropping daily. Is it a goner? Or is it possible that the buds on it will grow in the spring??? I would appreciate some feedback from those of you who have experience.
Gonna need pictures but it doesn't sound good. 8 days in transit???? That's horrible and unacceptable. The timing suggests that the tree probably experienced a significant insult in transit, either heat related or it dried out perhaps, and you're seeing the results now.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
You need to post photos if you want more than rampant speculation.
I don't even need to guess who sold it. Its obvious.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just drag and drop a pic in the reply box on the PC.

Press upload file otherwise.

I think If you stick around...
I'll call you Tony the Brown!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

TONY MAMOUZELOS

Sapling
Reaction score
Just drag and drop a pic in the reply box on the PC.

Press upload file otherwise.

I think If you stick around...
I'll call you Tony the Brown!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce
LOL thanks for the responses I'll get a pic uploaded asap.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
If it took 8 days to get to your location you have no idea about several conditions. You don't know how well the tree was watered before transit, you don't know how long it spent in the truck and what temperature the truck was inside.

From the sounds of it I would say the tree is kindling, that from my experience with JWP's. How much have you done to the tree since receiving it? How often do you water it? Have you watered it? Did you repot the tree and what condition is the soil in the pot? JWP's are beautiful and fussy, especially about water and heat. Did the seller claim a warrantee. guarantee, or return policy? If so I would jump all over that especially if you dropped a pile of green on your now apparent pile of brown.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Sound familiar?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

SHOIN WHITE PINE BONSAI IMPORT FROM JAPAN 5 NEEDLE PINE SHOW READY A++ TREE, THIS TREE IS IN a plastic training pot but is show quality tree and ready for a ceramic pot , see photos IT IS POT THAT IS 8"X5" BY 3"TALL , IT HAS A MASSIVE TRUNK OF 3.70" , IT STANDS 12." TALL FROM THE SOIL LINE AND IS 9" WIDE. IT IS VERY UNUSUAL BECAUSE IT IS A DOUBLE FRONT, MEANING THE FRONT AND BACK CAN BE SHOWN FROM IETHER SIDE. see photos

I WAS LUCK ENOGH TO GET THIS FROM A GOOD FRIEND OF MINE WHO IMPORTS THE,. IN ALL OF MY YEARS OF BONSAI I HAVE EVER ONLY SEEN ONE SHOHIN WHITE PINE. WHEN MY FRIEND GETS TREES IN HE GIVES ME FIRST CRACK AT BUYING , SO I GET THE BEST.
THIS LITTLE GUY HAS SOME OF THE MOST MAJESTIC TWISTING TO, SEE PHOTO'S I WILL TRULEY MISS THIS TREE. I KNOW THE NEW OWNER WILL GET THE SAME GRADIFACTION AND ENJOYMENT I HAVE OUT OF IT.
I HAVE BEEN WORKING WITH THIS FOR OVER 5 YEARS YEARS, IT HAS BEEN PINCHED BACK , FERTILIZED, REPOTTED , ECT WITH THE UPMOST CARE.
IT HAS ALWAYS REMIDED ME OF A STRONG PINE THAT I USE TO SEE ON TOP OF THE SIERA NEVADA ALONG HORSE TAIL FALLS. SO IT HAS ALWAYS HELD A LOT OF MEANING TO ME. AS CAN BE SEEN IN THE PHOTOS, THIS IS A GEM NOT TO MISS/ I KNOW THE NEW OWNER WILL GET THE SAME GRADIFATION OUT OF IT THAT I HAVE.
EMAIL ME WITH QUESTIONS
, TRUELY A SHOW PIECE
THIS IS ONE NOT TO MISS, I WILL MISS IT FOR SURE
SHIPPING WILL BE 36.11 FULL Y INSURED VIA FEDEX

us shipping only on bonsai

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
There seems to be splainin needed Lucy---- Is this the add and the seller? I must have missed something here, but there is nothing obvious to me about any of this.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Sound familiar?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

SHOIN WHITE PINE BONSAI IMPORT FROM JAPAN 5 NEEDLE PINE SHOW READY A++ TREE, THIS TREE IS IN a plastic training pot but is show quality tree and ready for a ceramic pot , see photos IT IS POT THAT IS 8"X5" BY 3"TALL , IT HAS A MASSIVE TRUNK OF 3.70" , IT STANDS 12." TALL FROM THE SOIL LINE AND IS 9" WIDE. IT IS VERY UNUSUAL BECAUSE IT IS A DOUBLE FRONT, MEANING THE FRONT AND BACK CAN BE SHOWN FROM IETHER SIDE. see photos

I WAS LUCK ENOGH TO GET THIS FROM A GOOD FRIEND OF MINE WHO IMPORTS THE,. IN ALL OF MY YEARS OF BONSAI I HAVE EVER ONLY SEEN ONE SHOHIN WHITE PINE. WHEN MY FRIEND GETS TREES IN HE GIVES ME FIRST CRACK AT BUYING , SO I GET THE BEST.
THIS LITTLE GUY HAS SOME OF THE MOST MAJESTIC TWISTING TO, SEE PHOTO'S I WILL TRULEY MISS THIS TREE. I KNOW THE NEW OWNER WILL GET THE SAME GRADIFACTION AND ENJOYMENT I HAVE OUT OF IT.
I HAVE BEEN WORKING WITH THIS FOR OVER 5 YEARS YEARS, IT HAS BEEN PINCHED BACK , FERTILIZED, REPOTTED , ECT WITH THE UPMOST CARE.
IT HAS ALWAYS REMIDED ME OF A STRONG PINE THAT I USE TO SEE ON TOP OF THE SIERA NEVADA ALONG HORSE TAIL FALLS. SO IT HAS ALWAYS HELD A LOT OF MEANING TO ME. AS CAN BE SEEN IN THE PHOTOS, THIS IS A GEM NOT TO MISS/ I KNOW THE NEW OWNER WILL GET THE SAME GRADIFATION OUT OF IT THAT I HAVE.
EMAIL ME WITH QUESTIONS
, TRUELY A SHOW PIECE
THIS IS ONE NOT TO MISS, I WILL MISS IT FOR SURE
SHIPPING WILL BE 36.11 FULL Y INSURED VIA FEDEX

us shipping only on bonsai

If he sells these it's more evidence that truly, BULLSHIT BAFFLES BRAINS.. although I'm shocked the stump peddler sells his maples.

Top Bottom