New Maple

Ruelas831

Sapling
Reaction score
I'm new to bonsai and been doing research on Japanese maples but not sure where to start with mine. My dad found it at a flea market for $5 and gave it to me. Some people say leave it as is till next year,some say do some root pruning, some say chop the trunk,some say re-pot to a bigger pot others to a bonsai training pot...........So needless to say I'm a bit confused!!

I would like to make it like this one.

Thanks for the Help!!

RichKid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
In my opinion I would leave it alone for now. Root pruning right now is a bad idea. Just spend this year keeping it alive, then before the leaves emerge next spring root prune it and put it into a better soil and pot. You could possibly trunk chop it then.But if you want it to be like the one in the bottom picture, it may just need to spend some time in the ground growing and thickening up. In which case, you could plant it out now.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think it needs to grow a bit, but you are going to wind up reducing it considerably in height. My suggestion is to air layer one or two branches. Then you will have had some fun, learned about adventitious rooting, and have one or two more trees to play with by the end of this season. Consult some other threads, such as this current one.

I suggest that you place the girdle so that there is at least one node (the 'joint' like those that have leaves growing from them) above the branch's union with another branch/trunk. An interesting thing you will be able to observe is that 3 to 6 weeks after cutting the girdle, budding will occur and new leaves will emerge below it! Similar things will happen if you just lop off the branch. Have fun reading to understand why.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Ruelas831,
Welcome to B'nut. Hopefully you didn't come here looking for the consensus you didn't find elsewhere. It can be confusing because there are many ways to get from your first photo to your second photo.

What's good:
1. You have a vision for what you're looking for.
2. The maple your dad bought appears to be healthy.
3. If it's a graft, the scion doesn't appear to be badly matched to the stock.

How to get to the second photo from the first? Likely, we can all agree on this:
1. The roots need to emerge radially from the trunk (it is too late this year for any root work).
2. It need to grow a thicker trunk. This ONLY comes from growing.
3. Eventually, it will need to have foliage much closer to the trunk.

What I would do now:
1. Let the tree grow. Enjoy it for what it is, and for what you want it to become.
2. Read about developing good surface roots, nebari.
3. Next year as the buds are swelling is the right time to repot.
4. Practice watering.
5. Feed the tree regularly and keep it growing strongly.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Brian gives excellent advice.

Ruelas831

Sapling
Reaction score
Kool. I'm going to just watch it grow for a bit. What's the best food for them. Just general fertilizer?

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It's in organic soil - I'd go osmocote slow release fertiliser and save yourself some time or buy a general all purpose liquid fertiliser and feed once every 2 weeks. If you're new to bonsai / watering insert a wooden skewer (like you'd have at a BBQ) a few inches into the soil to act as a 'moisture dipstick' while you learn when to water. Check the skewer daily.... if it is slightly damp and the particles of soil on the dipstick are getting a bit lighter than when it was first watered then hit it with the watering can til water gushes out the bottom - you want the soil to dry out slightly between waterings. Place your maple in dappled shade and out of the wind - they can burn easily if it's hot and windy (thin leaf margins).

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Brian is spot on with his advice.
You need to let this guy grow. Concentrate on keeping it alive and happy.
Do some more reading on bonsai and find a local club to join and learn.
Maybe get something you can work on now while the maple grows.

Keep in mind that to go from what you have to the picture of where you want to go is going to take many years. You'll need to be patient and learn what to do at the right time.

Welcome to the addiction. It truely is a journey.
Good luck and have fun.

Ruelas831

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks! Found a local club but the only bad part is i work when they meet. Need to find a way to meet up with them. I'm going to let it grow and keep it healthy. You think i should re-pot it into a bigger pot right now it sits in a gallon pot i think. Should i tile it to get the roots going?

Ruelas831

Sapling
Reaction score
Oh just re-read Brian's post ill just leave it in this pot till next year

Top Bottom