new material

JimJam35

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7ab
IMG_0746.jpgIMG_0747.JPGIMG_0749.jpgIMG_0750.jpgIMG_0751.jpg

so i recently purchased a Shimpaku Juniper and also a Deodara Cedar...thought id share pictures and see what people have to say, since i like to have input being so new to the world of bonsai. i know that they are gonna need some time to mature, most likely going to plant in the ground for a little while and have the trunks thicken up

id like to do a jin or shari style with the Shimpaku juniper and i dont know what i want to do with Cedar yet ( any ideas)

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello Jim.. It is tough to tell with the juniper because the trunk in not visible. However, from a first look, you will probably have to forget about jinning and shari on the juni. It seems far tot young. From what I see, the most honest opinion I can give you is maybe the shimp will be ready for some jinand shari in bout 4-6 years. As far as the cedar. The tree is far too young and not strong enough for any kind of work. It has no branches that have woodened off yet. If you do want this to become a bonsai, you will probably need to wait about 6 or 7 years before you should start working on it.

I would like to say that the things I am telling should not discourage you. I am giving you honest advice about this material. If you want something to actually work on.. Maybe look for trunks with about a 1 inch base and branches that have all woodened/hardened off.

This tree is a good example of some nice juniper starter stock. You may want to look for something with a trunk like this. Thats is, thickness and age with some workable branches.

I hope this was helpful.

Rob

ri[1].jpg

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Your first thought is the best one; put the trees in the ground or a large pot and let them grow a while. Both are conifers and realitively slow to grow. It is going to take time to develop this material into something where you even think about shari and jin. These elements take a good deal of mature wood in order to look like they are natural.

JimJam35

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7ab
no i deff know that they need time to grow and mature before i can work on them, couldnt pass up the deal i got for them lol.....love to see things grow and mature gives me a sense of accomplishment on some level so im not discouraged. will deff start to look for material that is workable now so i have something to do now while other plants are growing

Top Bottom