New Quince

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I picked up this quince at a nursery center this past fall. I snapped an important branch trying to wire it. Here it is today. I think this will develop into something nice in a couple of years. It has an interesting main trunk and some interesting roots. I've already learned a lot from this plant. It will need to be cut back, but I'm doing that gradually so I can learn how to do it without mishap... kind of like the branches... did I mention they aren't as flexible as I imagined?

Anyone with quince experience? Or similar war stories?

Attachments

• Quince1.JPG
    Quince1.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 80
  • quince flower.JPG
    quince flower.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
I snapped an important branch trying to wire it.

Was that you I heard out here on the right coast Barry?

Only going by what little we can see in the photo I am thinking I would keep it tall and work more with continuing that sinuous character it already has. I would forget about bonsai or even trying to make it resemble a tree here and go for something a little more a Chinese influenced Ikenbana flavor for spring display.

Only going by what little we can see in the photo I am thinking I would keep it tall and work more with continuing that sinuous character it already has. .

Sinuous character is uneven. Some branches twist and turn and some are straight. Why the difference? I don't know if it has to do with environment, horticulture or genetics.

Hi Barry,
Interesting plant for sure. Nice flowers on this plant. Got to love them. It can be bonsai for sure.

Bonsai: a potted plant dwarfed and trained to an artistic shape; also : the art of growing such a plant

A Friend in bonsai
John

Back
Top Bottom