New tiny Japanese maple coming out of dormancy too soon.. Help!

aphid

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi all,

I got this tiny, lop-sided Japanese maple yesterday from one of the local bonsai stores. It was kept in their greenhouse the whole winter where the temperature never went below 30F. It's been very warm yesterday and today. It's already coming out of dormancy! LOL

I live just outside of Boston and it won't be spring for a couple of months. What should I do?

1) Should I put it in a plastic bag and put it in my fridge to stop it from waking up? My fridge is pretty cold (Around 40F).

2) Should I put it in an empty fish tank with water at the bottom for humidity and put it under my 250W metal halide lamp? The pot won't sit in water. I had tried letting Japanese maples come out of dormancy indoors before. They ended up with dried leaves after a couple of days.

aphid

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My other trees are frozen solid in the shed. I imagine it gets into the 20's in there sometimes.

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Aphid,

It looks more dormant than mine that have been outside all winter. Are you sure it is coming out of dormancy?

Regards,
Martin

Mark l. Comstock

Seedling
Reaction score
swollen buds this time of year is normal for acer palmatum in our zone. If the buds start breaking out that would be a bit of concern. It looks just right to me

aphid

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's a close up picture. The buds are swollen. Some look like they are opening.

Last edited:

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was warned about greenhouses that get sunlight from the meehans a few years back, I see what they mean.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
stick it somewhere cold and it will be just fine. do you have an unheated garage or outbuilding? if so, that is perfect for this tree. relax. it looks just fine.

aphid

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
stick it somewhere cold and it will be just fine. do you have an unheated garage or outbuilding? if so, that is perfect for this tree. relax. it looks just fine.

I have a tool shed where I keep my other trees. It's supposed to be in the teens in a few days. That's okay for the opening buds?

aphid

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok. Thank you! I'll just put it in the shed with the others. ;)

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Even with that one opened bud the tree will be fine if you stick it somewhere cool. Fridge is an option and if there is colder temperature you will be fine.

Keep us posted

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I gotta ask, do you lay it on its side in a box?

ed

aphid

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I gotta ask, do you lay it on its side in a box?

ed

Oh haha.. I put it on its side to see how it would fit this pot. I bought it especially for this pot. I keep pictures of some of my trees in my phone so I can look at them whenever. That picture just happened to be on my phone when I started this thread.

I like the first side better so I may have bought the wrong tree... I should have kept pictures of my pots in my phone as well :rolleyes: I'm sure I can make it work.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
imo, I think using that pot with this tree is a mistake. I don't think it will look "right". Plus, if the tree is healthy and grows well, in 1 season, it will either split the pot or you may need to break the pot to remove the tree when repotting.

Oh haha.. I put it on its side to see how it would fit this pot. I bought it especially for this pot. I keep pictures of some of my trees in my phone so I can look at them whenever. That picture just happened to be on my phone when I started this thread.

I like the first side better so I may have bought the wrong tree... I should have kept pictures of my pots in my phone as well :rolleyes: I'm sure I can make it work.

aphid

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
imo, I think using that pot with this tree is a mistake. I don't think it will look "right". Plus, if the tree is healthy and grows well, in 1 season, it will either split the pot or you may need to break the pot to remove the tree when repotting.

Thanks for pointing that out! I got the pot because it was unique. I didn't even think about how small the opening was. (You just helped save this pot and the tree!) The maple is quite small and appears to be a dwarf. I will have to repot it every year. I hope I won't have to yank it out or split open the pot though! ;) I'll keep you posted on how it goes. I don't even know what the leaves look like on this little maple. I hope it matches the pot. But even if it doesn't, it'll be a fun project. :eek:

Top Bottom