New to bonsai and indoor lighting help

Rcfan29

Seed
Reaction score
Hello, I am trying to get into Bonsai and looking for information on how to start indoors. General information on books or videos to watch would be great. I'm in an apartment with a tiny window that gets little light. So I'll need to find one that can handle that situation, thinking a ficus. I'm looking to get led lights but need advice on what to get that wont break the bank but will actually work cause I dont know what I'm getting and I dont trust some of the lights Amazon is showing me. Links and examples would be great if possible. Thanks for any help.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
7EF67DA5-86B9-436D-B366-2EE1B30B4657.jpegHi
I grow mainly ficus. I also live in an apartment.
I have good window lighting though.
I current use a t5ho 2ft light with 4 bulbs.
When I move I will want to get a 4 foot unit-mine is 2ft now.
The bulb color or temperature is important- I use 6500k. That is a daylight color bulb.
These do put out a little heat.

I also use some weak LED lights for supplemental lighting. There are now some high powered ones out there.

If you don’t mind paying the big bucks you can get metal halide lights. These run hot and cost a lot to operate but highly effective.

You can see in the photo the color of the lighting. In my office at work I have also grown under regular shop lights. I think they are t8 lights. Keep the plants as close as possible without burning them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I used a 400w metal halide bulb one winter for my tropicals, did great. Next winter trees were bigger and I had more so I threw up a 600w hps (high pressure sodium) setup. Figured a hps bulb would work better anyway seeing how fall was ending and winter was starting. Way too much light. Although it didn’t seem too hot when I put my hand where the plants were, I somehow fried quite a few of them. May have been on the dry side as well. Next year went back to my 400w and again no problems.

Think I’ll try the 600w hps again but gonna slap right to the ceiling. Like 4ft away from any trees!!!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Check this out.

I use regular fluorescents close as possible.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I second the use of T5 fluorescents as the most functional and affordable. LEDS still too expensive.

Top Bottom