New to Bonsai, have a Fukien Tea Tree. Need help with lighting...

Reaction score
I have been reading for a few weeks but I feel more lost than ever. I have ordered some more books as well but I'm just trying to figure out a good light schedule.
I have an LED light with 3 movable lights with capable of red, blue, and mix of the two. I'm just trying to figure out which light setting is best and for how long. The light allows me to set on a timer (3hr, 9hr, 12hr). I have the plant resting by a window for some light but unfortunately how my place is set up, I dont get much sunlight through the windows so I got the grow light.
Basically my questions are:
1. Which light is best, red, blue or a combo of both together?
2. How long should my tree be under these lights?
(I will have the window open during the day to allow some natural light in)
3. What time of day is best to turn the lights on and off? (I work 10-12 hr work days about 3 - 4 days a week, otherwise I'm mostly home).

Details about me and my tree:
Fukien Tea Tree/Carmona microphylla
HEIGHT: 8-10"
Have an 11" humidity tray underneath
Has been in my place for 2 days now.
I'm open to change the setup as needed, Pictures below:
Surrounded by cage because my cats like to eat plants/trees and knock things over no matter where I put stuff. Please ignore the poorly looking cactuses, I rescued these from my friend and they are currently just here so my cat doesn't eat them while I figure out a safe plan for them.278612278613278615278616

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7/8
Did you notice problems with the tree from a lack of sunlight before you moved it from the window? It might be too cold for it now anyway

I use a 4-TUBE FLUORESCENT for my fukien at the moment, turns on at 9:30am and off at 10:20pm, im not sure about LEDs but you could start by trying a similar light cycle.

It looks healthy in your pictures there's a bunch of new growth coming through

Reaction score
Did you notice problems with the tree from a lack of sunlight before you moved it from the window? It might be too cold for it now anyway

I use a 4-TUBE FLUORESCENT for my fukien at the moment, turns on at 9:30am and off at 10:20pm, im not sure about LEDs but you could start by trying a similar light cycle.

It looks healthy in your pictures there's a bunch of new growth coming through
I have only had it for 2 days and it been in the same place by the window. The window is behind it and so far closed at night and open during the day. Bit it has been a bit cold. So not sure if I should provided extra protection from cold? We do have a heater that goes off but it's never super hot or super cold.
But since I've had it, it looks very healthy which is always a plus.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7/8
Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
12 hours. Though 16 is ok too.

Welcome to Crazy!

Fukien is THE most severely misunderstood mass marketed monstrosity many muppets mess up with.

Lucky for you we have them figured out!

Sorce

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Get a separate timer and shoot for 16 hours. Light intensity drops with distance quite a bit. If you are getting leggy growth move the lights closer

Reaction score

Here is a little guide for the fukien if you've not already looked through this, it goes into what temperatures you'd need.

It might still drop a few leaves if you've only had it a few days as it gets used to its environment.

Also be careful of the cold air coming through the window during the day they don't like that.
Ok thanks. When I mean open window, I mean open the shades to let sun in.

Top Bottom