New to bonsai

baldcypress6

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Whats the best time of year to prune your bonsai? Also, when is the best time of year to wire your bonsai & how long should the wire stay on before removing it?

Thank you.

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Welcome.
Take some time and use the search function on this forum and post what you have learned.

You will find all your questions are likely already answered 100s of times on the threads and posts here.

You can even find detailed information on the specific type/cultivar of trees you have and in your growing zone too.

All trees are not treated the same.

Good luck with your research.
Looking forward to hearing back from you on this thread.

Last edited:

Geo

Chumono
Reaction score
Todos Santos,Baja Sur Elev56M 23.46N 110.24W
USDA Zone
11+
First: Welcome to the Nut House!
As to your questions. The answer to all of them is: It depends. What particular species are you interested in, for instance? You have come to the right place. But you must always specify here. There are people whose depth of expertise would make your tongue hang out. If you are really serious about learning about "BONSAI" you have arrived at one of the best destinations. But this aint no garden club, chile!

baldcypress6

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
First: Welcome to the Nut House!
As to your questions. The answer to all of them is: It depends. What particular species are you interested in, for instance? You have come to the right place. But you must always specify here. There are people whose depth of expertise would make your tongue hang out. If you are really serious about learning about "BONSAI" you have arrived at one of the best destinations. But this aint no garden club, chile!
Thank you, I can already tell that there's a wealth of knowledge & information on here & I'm talking about Bald Cypress.

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thank you, I can already tell that there's a wealth of knowledge & information on here & I'm talking about Bald Cypress.

Hence your pseudo ;)

Welcome but I know squat about bald cypress so I'll pass on this one :)

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would stick to step 1 first: "Keep your tree alive".

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
Best time to prune yours, probably spring 2017. In other words just see that it survives for now. :)

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Whats the best time of year to prune your bonsai?

Now we know It is BC you are talking about and your location - both critical for good advise and Welcome!

If you could post a picture or two of the plant(s) in question there are many here that will give sound advise based on many years of experience. Do not worry if they are big or small - it is just impossible for us to answer with solid advice otherwise.

Welcome to the journey and never be intimidated when starting - we ALL did and it is still a great practice!

Grimmy

baldcypress6

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks all for the welcome and advice! all duly noted!

Step 1.. keep tree alive!

and here are a few pics..

Top Bottom