New to Bonsai

Dana

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello everyone,( from Canada, BC).
I know one can drill holes in just about any ceramic dish/bowl but does the fact that the inside of these are glazed make a difference? Do plants grow happily and safely in internally glazed pots?

Dana

Seedling
Reaction score
Welcome to the Nut House! ;):p:eek:

The inside glaze shouldn't be a problem, think of it as glass.
Thank you so much. Off I go drilling my way thru every dish and bowl I can lay my hands on. So happy to be in the 'nut house'.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sho is Crazy!
Welcome!

Another bloody Kmart bowl drilling!?

Interesting.

It's easier for water to slip down glaze and fall out the drainage hole.

We been saying it's ok....

But the sustainability isn't really there.

In a couple years or less, when these trees are "rootbound", the rootballs are going to become dense little masses floating in the center of these inside glazed pots and they will be impossible to water. As all the water will just flow straight out the pot. Where the tooth inside an unglazed pot can be saturated and eventually allow some wet into the actual soil.

For me, dealing with the downside of these projects will never outweigh the half ass aesthetics of a "bonsai pot".

Aesthetics...

Even newbs have the capability to make a tree dope.
So let's say whatever trees are going into these pots become aesthetically pleasing and rootbound and impossible to water, right at a time when repotting will kill it.

Now, we are forced to take daily 15 minute dunking measures to keep the tree alive, because no way in hell we let a dope tree die.

But that 15 minutes a day could be spent...

...working for a proper bonsai pot to put the tree in at the appropriate future time.

...observing 8 other trees into greatness.

...learning,building,shoveling snow!

So then, for the sake of a little "aesthetically pleasing",

In the wake of impatience,

We have piles and piles of ugly dead trees and wasted time!

Better to do like Grimmy says and insert little drainage pots inside the undrilled glazed pot.

Especially when the apocalypse hits and you realize your ONE remaining water capturing device has holes in it .....
Downside!

Sorce

Dana

Seedling
Reaction score
Sho is Crazy!
Welcome!

Another bloody Kmart bowl drilling!?

Interesting.

It's easier for water to slip down glaze and fall out the drainage hole.

We been saying it's ok....

But the sustainability isn't really there.

In a couple years or less, when these trees are "rootbound", the rootballs are going to become dense little masses floating in the center of these inside glazed pots and they will be impossible to water. As all the water will just flow straight out the pot. Where the tooth inside an unglazed pot can be saturated and eventually allow some wet into the actual soil.

For me, dealing with the downside of these projects will never outweigh the half ass aesthetics of a "bonsai pot".

Aesthetics...

Even newbs have the capability to make a tree dope.
So let's say whatever trees are going into these pots become aesthetically pleasing and rootbound and impossible to water, right at a time when repotting will kill it.

Now, we are forced to take daily 15 minute dunking measures to keep the tree alive, because no way in hell we let a dope tree die.

But that 15 minutes a day could be spent...

...working for a proper bonsai pot to put the tree in at the appropriate future time.

...observing 8 other trees into greatness.

...learning,building,shoveling snow!

So then, for the sake of a little "aesthetically pleasing",

In the wake of impatience,

We have piles and piles of ugly dead trees and wasted time!

Better to do like Grimmy says and insert little drainage pots inside the undrilled glazed pot.

Especially when the apocalypse hits and you realize your ONE remaining water capturing device has holes in it .....
Downside!

Sorce
Thanks for the detailed explanation.Drilling on pause then? Maybe not. I think I am going to try a few succulents instead of bonsai trees in glazed pots.

Top Bottom