new tree cant identify

Reaction score
I need help identifying and caring for this tree. I just got it from a friend. I also have a cutting he started in a small pot...is that something I can make into a bonsai?20200804_165616.jpg20200804_165855.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Even from that terrible photo I can see that the tree is a ficus.
They are often grafted to have smaller leaves on the swollen roots but this one looks like the base has grown?
The cutting will be the same as the tree it came from so it can be used for a future bonsai.

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ficus microcarpa “Gensing”
These are usually grafted, but it actually doesn’t look like this one is - the shoots seem to be coming out of the bulbous bit. Microcarpa is a very common species in bonsai. Gensing is not the easiest to work with - if you repot this, you will find that you have several tap roots and are far from having a radial root base. So drastic root pruning is often in order. But, first do some research, get to know the species and it’s care. Make sure you can keep it alive before doing too much styling work. The tree and your future self will thank you 🙏

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

You have to make the right moves early.

Sorce

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Welcome to Crazy!

You have to make the right moves early.

Sorce

@Derrickbrock This is the treatment that I use. It seems harsh, but microcarpa roots very easily especially this time of year. E668900F-1D8C-4C79-8276-4AC735B97BE6.jpeg
If you chop it around here maybe, then burry it deep and give plenty of sun and keep it watered, it should do well.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
@Derrickbrock This is the treatment that I use. It seems harsh, but microcarpa roots very easily especially this time of year. View attachment 321438
If you chop it around here maybe, then burry it deep and give plenty of sun and keep it watered, it should do well.
My brother gave me a gross Wal-mart ficus. I did the same, sawed off as much of the tubers as I could while trying to keep some feeder roots and buried the rest. I probably wouldn't have bothered, but he thought he was doing a good thing and it had some aerial roots that were kind of cool.

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My brother gave me a gross Wal-mart ficus. I did the same, sawed off as much of the tubers as I could while trying to keep some feeder roots and buried the rest. I probably wouldn't have bothered, but he thought he was doing a good thing and it had some aerial roots that were kind of cool.

This is one of those gross Walmart ficuses. It was marked down last year so I grabbed it to see what I could do with it. Here it is shortly after I got it and today.
F549AF33-A63E-4F18-835F-ECF9595F5B40.jpeg70525158-5AE3-4404-AB67-D3EB3E1926A5.jpeg

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You kept the tubes? I guess some like them, I'm not a fan.

Yea, I cut them just above the inverse taper. But I’ve since regretted not being a bit more assertive. I think I’ve settled on the idea of growing more areal roots over them to give it that gnarly ficus look.
But for now I’m just letting it grow - I imagine it with a fairly small compact canopy in future.

Top Bottom