Newbie advice on Tanuki, Type of Bonsai and Layout

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
P. Afra can be fun, and jade, but remember they are technically succulents, not a tree. Water them like your aloe plant or they won't grow. There are trailing varieties of p. afraid that will naturally match your cascading image, but these don't lignify (turn woody) as well, so can be harder to train. They also will grow slower in an office environment. I'm experimenting with one of these right now. I could send you some cuttings if you're interested.

Ficus benjamina are as easy as they come for beginners, but their roots won't work well for planting over wood or rocks. Planting it and just using your wood as an accent might look nice. I also have a supply of these is why I bring it up.

ob1page

Seedling
Reaction score
P. Afra can be fun, and jade, but remember they are technically succulents, not a tree. Water them like your aloe plant or they won't grow. There are trailing varieties of p. afraid that will naturally match your cascading image, but these don't lignify (turn woody) as well, so can be harder to train. They also will grow slower in an office environment. I'm experimenting with one of these right now. I could send you some cuttings if you're interested.

Ficus benjamina are as easy as they come for beginners, but their roots won't work well for planting over wood or rocks. Planting it and just using your wood as an accent might look nice. I also have a supply of these is why I bring it up.
What a generous offer, thank you! I think I have realized that the root over bonsai is going to be a little more advanced than what I am capable of right now. The more I look at my kusamono display the more I like it so I think I am keeping it. The only change I might make is swapping out air plants for the artificial aquarium plants but I am keeping the preserved moss. I want to try growing a bonsai in its own display. From what I understand Ficus benjamina and P. Afra are the go to for indoor bonsai so I will likely start with one of those. Being that this will be my first attempt at a bonsai, and honestly my first houseplant, I want something easy and forgiving. I am researching pots, soil, etc now and reading everything I can to help ensure that I do not fail.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
everything I can to help ensure that I do not fail.
🤭
40b92d3390ad91474babcb67512c0c2f.png
Just sayin'.
I've killed so many trees I've taken up woodcarving to make myself feel better about it. You're going into it allot more prepared than I was my first attempt a couple years ago, though, so I do suspect a much greater success rate.

Top Bottom