Newly Collected Berberis

mholt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is a newly collected Berberis of mine. I dug it out of my landscape today. As you can see there is nothing to work with lower on the trunks. I hacked a lot off today and was wondering if I can go further at this time or let it be for a season? I am including 3 virtuals I quickly drew up. Will barberries fatten up quickly? As you can see I drew in quite a bit along the trunk and was curious as to the amount of time it would take to induce a pleasing taper and girth to the remainder of the trunks?

Thanks,
Matt

Attachments

• berberis1.jpg
    berberis1.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 64
  • berberis2.jpg
    berberis2.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 72
  • berberis_virt1.jpg
    berberis_virt1.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 59
  • berberis_virt2.jpg
    berberis_virt2.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 59
  • berberis_virt3.jpg
    berberis_virt3.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 54

mholt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm leaning toward my third virtual but was wondering if it would be safe to do a trunk chop on it at this time. Attached is a pic. Maybe move the right chop up to right below the bulge.

-Matt

Attachments

• berberis_chop.jpg
    berberis_chop.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 36

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Don't ignore this possibility where taper already exists. It shouldn't take more than 3-4 years to develop some branching.

You have fine taste in beer!

Attachments

• berberis2.jpg
    berberis2.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 38

mholt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good point JKL. Perhaps just let this go as is for a year? Chop later depending on health?

mholt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
JKL, I took your suggestion and created another virtual. Possibly something along these lines.

Attachments

• berberis_virt4.jpg
    berberis_virt4.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 30

mholt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Or...something like this.

Attachments

• berberis_virt5.jpg
    berberis_virt5.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 20

mholt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It seems to be heading that way in my virtuals. My last post I am liking the bends of the left forground branch. Perhaps develop branching from that and work on potting angles.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You're getting ahead of yourself. None of your designs will be possible with a dead tree :D

It is far too early to be making specific plans for this plant. It's out of the ground one day. It hopefully has many ahead of it. You've done enough for now. The biggest killer of newly collected material is usually an overinterested owner. :D

Leave it alone. Let it stabilized this year. Do nothing more to it. You've got enough to work with now. Whittling it down more limits your design options

mholt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rock made a good point. I will leave it be until next year. Designs will come later. Anyone with experience with barberry know the survival rate when collected?

Top Bottom