• Let grow more

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters

kale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I chopped it! Still a rather boring straight section on the bottom but hoping this will result in some future buds down low to choose from later. I was not comfortable taking it any lower. D7E2D4BB-E951-4E92-9E48-3DBB789F9B83.jpeg76DF17BD-79A0-41BA-80FD-18D3F18B8980.jpegD62CDDFC-1E1C-4A43-B5BA-5164EE305848.jpeg99442190-DF57-485E-8B6F-1D25598FD59F.jpeg

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If I made that chop would also prune the furthest 6” or so from the top and every extending branch if back budding was the goal.

Looks a very healthy tree and can handle it.

Curious to hear why someone would not do this to induce lower back budding and what the alternative would be.

Honestly, I maybe would have chopped lower but not below that lowest branch this time of year -any such big cut would probably be done in late winter tho pretty sure this big healthy tree can handle it and much more with proper care as observed..

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes, I just felt the time was right. Still got years of thickening ahead of it and more chops too. Just didnt want to wait too long.
Why thickening?… a bigger trunk? This isn’t a twig😂

kale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Why thickening?… a bigger trunk? This isn’t a twig😂
Its about 2” across but still got a ways to go for some better nebari for sure! Interesting point about trimming the canopy to induce back budding! I think I’ll stay a little conservative since this is one of my first drastic chops but it is tempting.

kale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Wanted to post an update a year later. Would you folks begin reducing the canopy and work on ramification yet? I am also hoping the chop scar will heal, but can be positioned in the back as well.IMG_0504.jpeg

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Depending on what future size of tree you want. It's already good for the elegant tree, for me OK. In case the variety is not problematic scar will heal. Would be wise to heal it now since you have plenty of foliage above the cut so it will drive a lot of energy around the cut spot and heal it faster than after chopping and in a smaller pot. You could consider carving the cut area a little bit and covering it with cut paste. Adding pictures from my maple cut.

DSC_7588.JPG 1687374373377.png

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I think the next thing I'd be looking to do is to take as much off the top as you can without killing the thing. You got some really nice replacement branches started, and I don't think you're going to find your tree in the upper canopy.

I'd warn you not to take my advice, but then you'd be trapped in some logical paradox that no one deserves to be subject to.

Top Bottom