Next step for new JM clump project

eeeealmo

Mame
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Last year I took 3 one-year-old seedlings I plucked from my yard, fed them through a washer, and placed them in a basket-in-basket set-up. They grew faster than anything I've ever seen, and I'm curious what people think the best next step is.​

The potential options (and pros and cons) are :
  • Leave them alone for another year
    • Pro : stable in the pot, will continue to thicken, and can position trunks more readily with guy wires
    • Con : can't sort roots for development and the washer is still in the soil
  • Repot to sort roots and remove washer
    • Pro : begin root work to address any issues and remove washer from lower roots
    • Con : unsure how stable they would be after repotting given how tall they are. Unsure how I could secure them effectively. I thought I could potentially cut them back hard to introduce some movement which would also make them less likely to topple over but that would obviously slow their growth
Here are some pics. Would love to hear people's thoughts! Thanks in advance.
1000007837.jpg
1000007836.jpg

czaczaja

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When were they potted? I would definitely take a look at the washer and make sure they are not going to get suffocated and die, especially that they grew alot.

eeeealmo

Mame
Reaction score
When were they potted? I would definitely take a look at the washer and make sure they are not going to get suffocated and die, especially that they grew alot.
They've only been in that basket (and thus through the washer) since January.

czaczaja

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They've only been in that basket (and thus through the washer) since January.
Yeah I'd check in on them. I'd consider using tape or even rubber bands. Definitely need to check in at least once per growing season.

Top Bottom