Northern beech yamadori

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just curious: Why did you choose that particular tree? How do you envision its future?

cellis41

Seedling
Reaction score
I don't think I chose the tree I think the tree chose me while in the woods I happen to stumble by it, pictures don't do it justice, yet....The branch base off of the trunk is very nice and the trunk is very well established, the harsh cut at the top is done by nature or beavers rather. Which will i hope anyways allow for a new more " Bonsai" peak. It just said take me home.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Good job getting all those ruuuts…. also place in a collection recovery container , and use pumice .. also don’t wash the soil off the roots , beech do well with native soil due to microorganisms etc. also keep the height of the tree, American beech grow slow like Honey dripping , so keep the height and work on letting it recover then cutting that dead spot on trunk to new leader. Eventually you can but the branches back too to stimulate back budding .. one thing I’m trying w American beech to get back budding is pinching new growth but that’s after a couple years of recovers. Leaves will reduce over time , just let it grow this szn, good luck !

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Theres a couple very thick branches there that could make nice leaders and transitions, but youd need to layer closer to one of them. Takes a long time to grow thick branches like that on beech.

red line is one layering option, then slanting blue line chop.
youd be left with enough there to build a branch structure from and a nice fat tree with convincing taper
Screenshot_20230415_000345_Photo Editor.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom