Not sure if I should repot 😉

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Darn Bill, you will need a little more than a shovel to repot that one. I have one similar but in a Rootpouch... really debating slipping into a bigger pot, or just removing the bag and filling up the bucket with more pumice and lava... I was not expecting it to fill the bag that quickly. The pics are from the end of AUG, it is slightly thicker now.

What do you think?

1664807730546.png

1664807751575.png

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Darn Bill, you will need a little more than a shovel to repot that one. I have one similar but in a Rootpouch... really debating slipping into a bigger pot, or just removing the bag and filling up the bucket with more pumice and lava... I was not expecting it to fill the bag that quickly. The pics are from the end of AUG, it is slightly thicker now.

Bigger pot and flood to a few inches above the soil line. You want more flare at the bottom. Give the lateral roots more horizontal room.

My tree is going to come out over the winter. A reciprocating saw with a pruning blade should do the trick, but likely not. The tree is under a pecan tree. Pecan roots are super hard.

That tree started with a base of 1-2 inches. Someone was going to come over and buy it, but she never showed up. 5 years later, here we are.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Bigger pot and flood to a few inches above the soil line. You want more flare at the bottom. Give the lateral roots more horizontal room.

That tree started with a base of 1-2 inches. Someone was going to come over and buy it, but she never showed up. 5 years later, here we are.
Will definitely do that, already bought a 26" x 15" pond liner to use on the repot late winter. I am making a "pot" with poly sheet that will have several "escape" areas for the roots at the bottom to allow them to run as they please. It will be raised, so the edge of the pot will be inline with the edge of the liner. I'm lining the inside with the entrapment cloth as an attempt to maintain as many feeders close to the trunk as I can. This one is not as big as yours, started as a 1" gallon container in 2021, this is it's second season with me.

This is a picture of the tree AUG last year when I slip potted into the 3 gallon rootpouch. I always keep them on water, the blue bucket is a 5 gal can that I cut to size, the other one seems almost empty, but it is filled up to the edge twice a day by my automated system.

I don't know if you have seen my thread, I love BC's... don't have anymore because I have no more space. I have 3 seedlings from last year (this is their second season) and this 1 gallon tree that I bought from a nursery only.

1664812224924.png

1664812030496.png

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Will definitely do that, already bought a 26" x 15" pond liner to use on the repot late winter. I am making a "pot" with poly sheet that will have several "escape" areas for the roots at the bottom to allow them to run as they please. It will be raised, so the edge of the pot will be inline with the edge of the liner. I'm lining the inside with the entrapment cloth as an attempt to maintain as many feeders close to the trunk as I can. This one is not as big as yours, started as a 1" gallon container in 2021, this is it's second season with me.

This is a picture of the tree AUG last year when I slip potted into the 3 gallon rootpouch. I always keep them on water, the blue bucket is a 5 gal can that I cut to size, the other one seems almost empty, but it is filled up to the edge twice a day by my automated system.

I don't know if you have seen my thread, I love BC's... don't have anymore because I have no more space. I have 3 seedlings from last year (this is their second season) and this 1 gallon tree that I bought from a nursery only.

View attachment 457969

View attachment 457965

Pond liners are great. Even better is working in an area where people have big bucks and can't decide on landscaping. I've picked up some large round pond liners as big as 48" across. Before you say "Sounds fantastic" I'm just realizing that I've had these for more than a decade and haven't done anything with them. Huh. Maybe I'll donate them to the club's auction next August.

Top Bottom