Nova bonsai garden

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
One of the cool features of this barn is that it has a massive swing beam. From the builders web site - “Swing beams, also known as “bull beams”, are large-depth beams of which there is usually only one in an English-framed barn in a middle bent and extending from wall post to wall post. They came into use in the mid 1800’s to allow a clear span in the middle of the barn with no vertical center posts in the middle of the threshing floor. They were also tapered on the ends, with the bottom edge straight and the top edge bellied up. We have found swing beams as wide as 38” in the belly. Forming such a clear span in the middle of the barn allowed for a farmer to tether an ox in the center of the barn and walk him in a circle threshing out grain, thereby eliminating the need for flailing grain to free the grain kernels from the heads.”

Here’s an example of one.
3A740D70-CADF-446F-B2BC-E71E0B1318A9.jpeg

PerryB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
That's going to be a very interesting place to live for a few years! In my early career (1970s and '80s) I helped to rebuild a house near Charlottesville, Virginia, that had a similar mortise and tendon/ post-and-beam construction (circa 1780's). Later on I designed and built a few houses with similar construction. It should be a great fit for people like yourself that feel so connected to the land and to nature.

Also, I'm close by and ready for your big bonsai party!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Bucked some storm felled black walnut trees and set them on ties. We have a few more down that I’ll buck, then we’ll hall them to a mill. We’ll use the lumber in the barn. 71EC434B-3DA6-4FFA-9B25-13BD4B266FAA.jpegB2ADF713-2D07-48AC-A0E1-0241A4A328D2.jpeg

S

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Great Project!

History is very cool to come about.
Old roads and cart trails…….get a good metal detector!!!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also - spring is here. Red maples are in flower. Buds on the bald cypress, Japanese maples, and tridents are swelling and I’m knee deep in repotting season. View attachment 473697
Yep. Unfortunately, things are popping two to three weeks early. March and April will inevitably bring snow and sub freezing temps. Trying for as long as possible to avoid repotting (Which only warms the roots even more quickly). Forecast for the cherry blossoms on the Tidal Basin is for the earliest bloom ever...I've got cherry trees in my neighborhood that are past peak bloom already. This has become a treacherous time of year for bonsai. Good that you have someplace to put your trees when the cold sets back in! BTW, if you have Bald Cypress that are showing green nubs, keep a very close eye on the temperature forecast. A late freeze --below 27--a couple of years ago cost me a very nice BC and severely weakened another, even though both were in winter protection and hadn't pushed any growth...

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Today a buddy and I limbed and bucked a storm felled black walnut and a hickory. The walnut was massive - it’s 20’ of straight trunk with no limbs and has 20” of heart wood. It was a major job. The plan is to either haul it all to a local mill or have a guy with a portable mill come to us. We’ll use the wood in our house. It’ll be nice to have some wood from the property incorporated with the house. Then I started clearing fallen ash from the pasture border. The emerald ash borer beetle went through here a few years ago and killed every single one of them. Sad.

633C383C-C73E-4688-96BF-798678882A17.jpeg84D67EF1-A74D-4335-BF24-5E52E235E610.jpegE42C9D3D-8664-4FB3-B7BC-E82D8B382606.jpeg28B86E53-E161-4BB0-A1A3-2D8DA4843334.jpeg

PerryB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Today a buddy and I limbed and bucked a storm felled black walnut and a hickory. The walnut was massive - it’s 20’ of straight trunk with no limbs and has 20” of heart wood. It was a major job. The plan is to either haul it all to a local mill or have a guy with a portable mill come to us. We’ll use the wood in our house. It’ll be nice to have some wood from the property incorporated with the house. Then I started clearing fallen ash from the pasture border. The emerald ash borer beetle went through here a few years ago and killed every single one of them. Sad.

View attachment 474167View attachment 474168View attachment 474169View attachment 474170
That's valuable walnut there, but to use it well in your house you will need to dry it well or it will crack/split/warp.
I can ask a friend near you for resources if you need them.

You probably have enough board-feet there for some nice cabinetry or paneling...or some killer bonsai stands!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That's valuable walnut there, but to use it well in your house you will need to dry it well or it will crack/split/warp.
I can ask a friend near you for resources if you need them.

You probably have enough board-feet there for some nice cabinetry or paneling...or some killer bonsai stands!
I think the mill I’m taking it to has a kiln, but I’ve never done this before, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

S

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Finished spring fertilization. Generally in spring I replace all the fertilizer cakes and do a root drench with kelp/humid acid right when the buds begin to swell. Then back to wiring. I repotted a lot last season in anticipation of the move, but wiring has been a bit neglected.

Also, I found a pretty active spring in the woods behind the barn. Still making discoveries. 2D7783B4-42FA-4B34-BC90-DCB0195A20A9.jpeg

Top Bottom