November Cold Snap… What’s everyone’s experience?

Reaction score
So I am in zone 6a and had all my trees on the benches up until yesterday. I was out of town Saturday night/Sunday morning and our overnight low dipped to 14F (about 10F lower than what was forecasted). Because I wasn’t anticipating temps in the teens, my trees were left unprotected on the benches. We have had a few freezes prior to this cold snap but no temps in the low 20s or teens up until this weekend. Anybody else get caught off guard by a late fall cold snap and have their trees pull through in spring? I was able to pack away my trees in a cold frame yesterday morning when I got home but I am still worried that they may have been damaged by the steep drop in temperature. I have American elm, crabapple, BC, JM, river birch, apple, tulip poplar and a few other Ohio natives.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had 17*. Trees set on the ground but not mulched in yet. Got 25 in my garage last night. I wasn't ready for all that yet. 50s this week. I'm east of Columbus Ohio.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Most Root Damaging temps begin occuring between 15dF-20dF... I feel that MOST of the species you've stated will be just fine if this is their only unprotected exposure to temps of this severity (and if their was no recent repots or collections in the mix... THOSE would probably be "toast").. they may suffer, slightly, to "get their legs underneath them", in spring,. But should ultimately pull through.

The exception here, being Palmatum.... That will be a dice roll.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I typically tend to place mine on the ground a little earlier than necessary for this reason.

I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Nothing you can do about it now! Except just provide appropriate protection moving forward.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I only have one still left out at the moment, but thats only because I haven’t treated it or tended to it yet. I‘ll probably anti-fungi and ant-insect spray it this weekend, trim it and move it to the shed.

Zac

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I had mine on the ground but not munched in yet because I saw temps predicted to drop down to 20 degrees I live in zone 6b. I have temp monitors around and under the pots and noticed the outside temps have been 5-10 degrees colder the weather man has been predicting but even with the temps down at 14 degrees the monitors under the pots read 36 degrees and the ones on top of pots read 28 degrees but mine are on the ground next to house

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
My trees are on the benches and they will stay there until spring.
If they want to die, that's their problem. I could use the pots.
What I'm saying is: I grow natives, and they should be able to beat the cold. If they don't, then I don't want them.
At your temperatures .. that MAY be the case..

Besides a few tester plants, I grow mostly natives/invasive/local plants ..

And among locals/natives... Rubrums, Sacharrums, communis, Elaeagnus, Amalanchier, Ribes, most Salix (except Lucida), Verticillatas ... All perish without protection... I have grown these species (AMONGST some natives I DO have that don't care AT ALL about the cold! 🤣🤪) with AND without protection, and analyzed firsthand.

I do have a handful of specimens, that aren't local.. but still zoned reasonably, that need a little extra protection.

So in a situation where I'd be protecting over half my trees, native or not... "Everything gets protected" is far less "fuss".

🤣

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

And among locals/natives... Rubrums, Sacharrums, communis, Elaeagnus, Amalanchier, Ribes, most Salix (except Lucida), Verticillatas ... All perish without protection... I have grown these species (AMONGST some natives I DO have that don't care AT ALL about the cold! 🤣🤪) with AND without protection, and analyzed firsthand.

I do have a handful of specimens, that aren't local.. but still zoned reasonably, that need a little extra protection.

So in a situation where I'd be protecting over half my trees, native or not... "Everything gets protected" is far less "fuss".

🤣
Yeah, I think location and climate certainly changes how I view advice... I looked up the USDA zones and most of the Netherlands is in zone 8, so the winters would be more comparable to the American South than the Midwest. OP, I don't think there's anything to do now that it already happened. Hopefully everything will be alright next spring.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Yeah, I think location and climate certainly changes how I view advice... I looked up the USDA zones and most of the Netherlands is in zone 8, so the winters would be more comparable to the American South than the Midwest. OP, I don't think there's anything to do now that it already happened. Hopefully everything will be alright next spring.
It (the reason comparing USDA to other continents can be tricky) also has a lot to do with swings and variances... I THINK Guy_wires gets snow and relative winter. I lt's just obvious that the continental "winters" are differing beyond easy comparison.

I like using the Weatherspark compare tool.

Here is You, Me and Amsterdam compared...

🤓

Pretty cool tool!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

🤣
We get about 5F as minimum, give or take. Usually not more than a week or so, during second spring (or third autumn, depending on your stance).

I believe that plants in pots can take less than plants in the ground HOWEVER I do firmly believe that alpine species like junipers and pines and spruce, growing on mountain ranges get just as cold as a pot would. I mean, rock cliffs being blasted by -40 C winds can't stay -10 C forever.

I do not fear the cold, I only fear the birds.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
We get about 5F as minimum, give or take. Usually not more than a week or so, during second spring (or third autumn, depending on your stance).

I believe that plants in pots can take less than plants in the ground HOWEVER I do firmly believe that alpine species like junipers and pines and spruce, growing on mountain ranges get just as cold as a pot would. I mean, rock cliffs being blasted by -40 C winds can't stay -10 C forever.

I do not fear the cold, I only fear the birds.
Absolutely.... My Picea, Pinus, Thuja, and MOST junis don't mind just being set on the ground (so they make up my outer wall inside the frame 🤪).. I don't grow many alder or birch... But can imagine them reacting similarly.

Grrr.. birds.... They think they are SOOOO cool!

🤣🤣

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The damn birds man, they're where the leaves are at. They're where the dandruff and litter is..
They don't stop digging and poking until they excavated everything and found nothing.
Gold fever for worms.

I don't put my trees where the birds are. Because only the birds survive.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The damn birds man, they're where the leaves are at. They're where the dandruff and litter is..
They don't stop digging and poking until they excavated everything and found nothing.
Gold fever for worms.

I don't put my trees where the birds are. Because only the birds survive.
Once I learned/started speaking "squirrel" to the squirrels... They "Know" this is my area...

Maybe there's a parallel for birds.

🤦🏽‍♂️🤪🤣

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Once I learned/started speaking "squirrel" to the squirrels... They "Know" this is my area...

Maybe there's a parallel for birds.

🤦🏽‍♂️🤪🤣
For me squirrels are but bushy tailed rats.
Well..... on second thought.... tasty bushy tailed rats.
And the parallel for birds --> Birds are feathery rats.
Depending on the type of birds, tasty feathery rats.

Top Bottom