Now, Let's do something for Bill!!

johng

Omono
Reaction score
I am absolutely sure that I am not the only one who owes Mr. Valavanis a huge debt of gratitude in terms of our growth and development in Bonsai. His devotion and commitment to this art and the people surrounding it for the last 40 years is unsurpassed. Whether it is his magazine, his demos and workshops across the country, his symposia and conferences, his nursery and trees, or his guided trips to Japan, he has touched and helped so many of us grow in our love, knowledge and passion for Bonsai. Bill has always been a proud, practical, respectable and responsible stewart of this art.

I sincerely hope that my participation in a recent thread has not offended him or his family in any way. I could not let Mr. Heath turn a truly tragic event into another entry for his resume. Now that he has gone to do his own thing lets figure out what we can do that will really make a lasting and valuable difference for Bill and his family.

If Bill personally needs money to rebuild all he has to do is say the word and many of us will undoubtably step up to for the cause... but in lieu of a benefit might I suggest a couple of other ideas... of course I welcome and encourage other comments and suggestions.

First- I am going to up my subscription to International Bonsai Magazine - Here is a link so you can do the same - http://www.internationalbonsai.com/store/1708315/product/IBM

Second - I am going to purchase a copy of the Commemorative Album from the 1st National Show for myself and one to give as a gift. From the website it appears you may currently not be able to do this until summer but here is a link - http://web.mac.com/williamnvalavanis/NATIONAL_BONSAI_EXHIBITION/COMMEMORATIVE_ALBUM.html

Third... Love him or hate him:), the contributions Bill has brought to bonsai in the United States are unsurpassed and undeniable. I wonder if it might be appropriate to recognize his contributions with some sort of display/memorial/dedication at the National Arboretum or other appropriate place???

Ok guys and gals...chime in...lets hear your thoughts!

What can we do to really make a difference???

Thanks,
John

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I couldn't agree more, John. I have a subscription, and am currently purchasing back issues at a couple of years at a go. So far I have about 18 years from #1 on. Absolutely invaluable information. And my inlaws decided to order the commemorative album as a Xmas present, so I am looking forward to that.

As to your suggestion of a dedication at the National Arboretum, I'd support that strongly. I suggest contacting the National Bonsai Foundation with this idea.

Chris

P.S. I personally emailed Felix Laughlin of the National Bonsai Foundation with the idea. Hopefully we will get some feedback.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I could not let Mr. Heath turn a truly tragic event into another entry for his resume. Now that he has gone to do his own thing lets figure out what we can do that will really make a lasting and valuable difference for Bill and his family.
Your opinion is wrong, but who cares. The fact is that there are many people trying to help out in anyway they can, do not use Bill as an excuse.

See This thread for one of many ways to help out http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1615

Let's not turn this into right ways or wrongs ways to help or a fight about who is doing more, please.

First- I am going to up my subscription to International Bonsai Magazine - Here is a link so you can do the same - http://www.internationalbonsai.com/store/1708315/product/IBM

Second - I am going to purchase a copy of the Commemorative Album from the 1st National Show for myself and one to give as a gift. From the website it appears you may currently not be able to do this until summer but here is a link - http://web.mac.com/williamnvalavanis/NATIONAL_BONSAI_EXHIBITION/COMMEMORATIVE_ALBUM.html

Third... Love him or hate him:), the contributions Bill has brought to bonsai in the United States are unsurpassed and undeniable. I wonder if it might be appropriate to recognize his contributions with some sort of display/memorial/dedication at the National Arboretum or other appropriate place???

These are all great ideas, I personally will be doing all of the listed items as well.

Good thoughts,

WIll

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Thank You..

I couldn't agree more, John. I have a subscription, and am currently purchasing back issues at a couple of years at a go. So far I have about 18 years from #1 on. Absolutely invaluable information. And my inlaws decided to order the commemorative album as a Xmas present, so I am looking forward to that.

As to your suggestion of a dedication at the National Arboretum, I'd support that strongly. I suggest contacting the National Bonsai Foundation with this idea.

Chris

P.S. I personally emailed Felix Laughlin of the National Bonsai Foundation with the idea. Hopefully we will get some feedback.

Thank you Chris...I appreciate your efforts! I also may have someone I can speak to on the NBF.

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
I see this died out pretty quickly huh? I'm bumping to see if there are any updates.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Hey Graydon, I did exactly what I said I was going to do... I also had two folks pm me and say that had also renewed their subscriptions and ordered books. I spoke to Arthur Joura recently, who had just spent some time with Bill, and he conveyed to me that Bill is busy but things seem to be coming along. I have not spoken directly to Bill. That is all I have for updates at this time. It is unfortunate that your efforts didn't raise more money. Or, perhaps the website just didn't get updated??? I really figured it would...your workstations are very nice. I have one of your turntables and have enjoyed using it.
John

Last edited:

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks to Graydon's generoisty I was able to help Bill and obtain a work station that I would not have been able to purchase. Thanks Graydon!

Last edited:

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Hey Graydon, I did exactly what I said I was going to do... I also had two folks pm me and say that had also renewed their subscriptions and ordered books. I spoke to Arthur Joura recently, who had just spent some time with Bill, and he conveyed to me that Bill is busy but things seem to be coming along. I have not spoken directly to Bill. That is all I have for updates at this time. It is unfortunate that your efforts didn't raise more money. Or, perhaps the website just didn't get updated??? I really figured it would...your workstations are very nice. I have one of your turntables and have enjoyed using it.
John

Thanks for the update John. Been sooo busy at work I just forget to check in here. I did update the site but only received a few bids. I'm not good at promotion (self or other). I am sure Bill appreciates any effort, I know I would. I remember you from the show where you purchased the turntable. Hope it's doing well. Hope to get back up that way one day.

Top Bottom