Now this is a Ginkgo

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My son recently bought a house in Michigan and told me he had a nice Ginkgo tree in his new yard. My first thought was that I was going to dig it up next spring if it had a good base. When I went up to visit him I found that it was just a bit too big. About 40’ too big. Oh well.

DEE28042-8507-4F59-80B7-913564EEDFDB.jpeg

3FF2D9BF-2DB5-4D3D-A155-FAC3360E23B0.jpeg

CAA24F43-B03B-42A1-9559-3C377ECEE21F.jpeg

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Maybe you could do some airlayers or root some cuttings?!!

There are 2 branches hanging right over the fence and into the neighbors yard. I talked to his neighbor about going in to his yard to air layer the branches and he said fine. He just wanted to make sure I wasn’t going to harm the tree. It provides a lot of shade for his patio.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oops.

Sorce

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
We h
Seriously, we have some ancient ones on some corporate grounds around the city that they didn't cut down. It's so amazing.
We have a gorgeous one here in town that's my favorite ginkgo I've ever seen in person. A few autumns ago, it was the most spectacular shade of yellow. I'm hoping for a good show again this year.

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Awesome size. Grand Rapids as a city is planting a bunch of these in recent years. Want to get my hands on one!

Sansui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Informative article on city planted Ginko trees:

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
If you visit the Frank Loyd Wright Studio in Oak Park, Illinois, there is a huge female ginkgo that Wright planted shortly after his trips to Japan. So the tree was planted before 1930. It is roughly 4 feet in diameter, give or take. It produces a huge crop of nuts every autumn, much to the distaste of the grounds staff. They sweep up the foul smelling fruit every morning. In autumn, right around middle to end of October, if you visit the grounds of the studio after they close at night, access to the tree is open and nobody will bother you while picking up the nuts that fell that day. I have done this more than one year. Soak the fruit in a bucket of water, scrub off the foul smelling flesh of the fruit. Change water and scrub a second time. The nuts free of the flesh of the fruit are pretty much odorless. I then put a portion with a wad of moist sphagnum moss in a plastic bag and into the refrigerator to be stratified for spring planting.

The other portion, I boil in water for about a half hour. Drain water, allow to cool, then peel off the hard shell and enjoy your boiled ginkgo nuts. Delicious. Meat of the nut is soft much like roasted or boiled chestnuts. Very good in soups, stews, or sliced and tossed into stir fry, or sliced into salads like one would an almond. A gourmet treat.

Top Bottom