Nursery Shimpaku

Shamino

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
While I've repotted frequently, I haven't dealt with potting nursery stock in years. I recently saw on a commercial bonsai site not to prune, wire, and pot at the same time. I am planning on doing a couple of nursery Shimpaku with my new-be neighbors and was planning on styling (trimming and wiring) and potting in training pot with bonsai soil all at the same time. Is this not a proper procedure?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
While I've repotted frequently, I haven't dealt with potting nursery stock in years. I recently saw on a commercial bonsai site not to prune, wire, and pot at the same time. I am planning on doing a couple of nursery Shimpaku with my new-be neighbors and was planning on styling (trimming and wiring) and potting in training pot with bonsai soil all at the same time. Is this not a proper procedure?

It might (probably) be too much work all at once and kill the tree. Repotting and minor trimming is fine.

PowerTap

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Generally you would want to report in the spring and style closer to fall. Each of these is a very stressful event for the tree. You need to give the tree time to recover between operations or you risk the long term health of the tree for short term gain.

Patience is the essential component of bonsai. I have taken a beginner class where we did everything all at once. But between the two trees we made that day, only one made it.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You need to also consider that much of the energy in junipers is stored in the foliage. Removing too much can cut into energy reserves at just the time the plant will need it to recover from repotting. With respect to root reduction junipers can take in a lot of moisture through the foliage so misting regularly after repotting can help compensate for root reduction during repotting.

Top Bottom