Odd color on Bald Cypress seedlimgs

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Growing BC from seed for the first time this year. Collected seeds from a dozen or so trees. I get maybe a 5% germination rate but that is just a guess, maybe 10%.

Anyway, one batch seems to have some reddish coloration. Not sure if this is normal. Pics make things a bit more lush looking than in real life, but can still see the red/orange. Maybe @Cajunrider can chime in - is this normal?

Side note, I think I'll be treating most of my plants with some ironite tomorrow.

Side side note, Spiderman BC is still chugging right along! Have been looking at it trying to get some vision.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Bronzing on seedlings is often related to sun and nothing to worry about.
I'd get that squash plant out of there. They are really vigorous and will swamp the little trees if you turn your back. Even now it is stealing nutrients from your babies.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That's what my mature BC looked like when they got mites every summer. But I never grew them from seed so I never saw the young phases, also never grew them in the Texas sun either haha. Just keep an eye out for mites, just in case. If you do have them, the color will keep trending toward a yellow until it turns rusty orange.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I'd get that squash plant out of there. They are really vigorous and will swamp the little trees if you turn your back. Even now it is stealing nutrients from your babies.
I have a couple hundred seedlings with the same green with bronze tint color.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks! I've actually been gradually removing the seedlings to pot up individually, so eventually the cukes can take over the box.

Top Bottom