Old Barberry

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have two shohin barberry, the pics are in my photo gallery. No dieback on mine, but I have learned not to force growth late in the growing season. Dieback during the growing season is usually due to the plant drying out, even if just for a day.

Attachments

• 900.jpg
    900.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 910.jpg
    910.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 84
Reaction score
I have two shohin barberry, the pics are in my photo gallery. No dieback on mine, but I have learned not to force growth late in the growing season. Dieback during the growing season is usually due to the plant drying out, even if just for a day.

i like those. i like the second image more. are going to eventually let the branches of the first tree reach upwards? or were you aiming to have two different looking trees in this manner?

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes they are two different styles. The plan is to let the branches slowly or slightly reach up on that tree. I am finding that barberry allowed to grow upwards can get very thick branches quite quickly.

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am finding that barberry allowed to grow upwards can get very thick branches quite quickly.

I've noticed something like that on barberry and spirea. On the same branch you'll have some nice, fine looking branches extending and next to them there can be thick, coarse, useless branches five times the size of the others it's growing by. I'd noticed the difference before, but it never flipped the switch in my head that it was the difference in direction they were growing that probably caused the disparity. Thanks!

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have noticed two different kinds of growth myself, not dependent on direction. The huge thick sprouts seem to just happen on these species. If the tree is weak, I keep them on for a month or two to let the tree regain strength. If the tree is strong, I take them out unless they are needed to rebuild a branch or something.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's too bad but it looks like you can make a fine small bonsai from what's left. What happened ? Really though it seems you have better potential now. Fate has dealt you a good hand here. Get rid of the dead stuff.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Or use the dead stuff.... carve it up.
I do think this is a more interesting tree than you had before.

Reaction score
just took the tree out to see if any branches had died back. looks healthy and the buds are forming nicely. this was never my plan for this tree (never really had a solid plan) but it is what it has become: a gnarly chunk of wood with some tiny branches. I must say that I do like it still. here is how it looks today without any leaves. what could I possibly do to this other than just let it do whatever it wants to. let the tree be a tree. likewise I'm going to just let the top, dead part rot off on its own. I don't even mind it.

funny how I was saying in another thread that I loved skinny trees and now this... lol

DSCN0102.jpg

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great character! I love the drama created by the contrast of the dead trunk and the few spindly branches surviving and spiting death. I hope it stays healthy!

Top Bottom