Old JM stock slip pot in winter?

Reaction score
Hi everybody

Basic info; older stock with roots exiting the bottom of the bags that were chopped sometime, probably before or after dormancy- they were piled up in another section of the nursery
Probably why theyre so nice and thick

Can I cut off the bags and pot them in growing containers? Because a spring root working is out now that its obvious the ground roots were cut as they are weaker now right? Or should be handled as such?
Should I rather wait till spring to do this slip pot just because of the timing?

Just want to get them healthy first before layering off the tops- it will probably take a whole summer to get them healthy?

Any advice welcome

Attachments

• IMG-20140701-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20140701-WA0000.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 89
Reaction score
Will it harm the tree? I know root growth continues at cooler temperatures but is it the same for deciduous trees?
What if I put both in a big container, bags and all and just fill in the space inbetween with soil to keep the fine roots emerging from the bag moist and alive vs dried out and dead

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I might be wrong, but I had always thought that slip potting did no harm to the tree.

Reaction score
Thank you for replying

Im extra cautious because Ive only aquired my first maples this summer past, and my first JM a month ago and already dormant

From what Ive read JMaples are more delicate since they have to be protected way more than anything else I have had so far,
I dont want to risk anything

Another thing; if I slip pot them now, can I do lift and work some of them in spring? Besides the two in the photo I have two more in the same size bag but pinkie finger size

And together with these crooked ones I also bought a big tree 60Liter bag
its the first time Ive ever seen JMaples this big, amd Ive been to a lot of nurseries

But enough rambling...

Last edited:

CubanBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Novice Question

I am new to Bonsai, I have 3 pre bonsai Japanese Maples that need protection from winter USDA Zone 5a (for now) and I also live in an apartment with a small balcony... Any Ideas?

Also... How can I create a new Thread? I have been looking not to bother any thread with my questions, but I have been unable to start a thread... I am new to Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
I am new to Bonsai, I have 3 pre bonsai Japanese Maples that need protection from winter USDA Zone 5a (for now) and I also live in an apartment with a small balcony... Any Ideas?

Also... How can I create a new Thread? I have been looking not to bother any thread with my questions, but I have been unable to start a thread... I am new to Bonsai Nut

Wellcome, its ok- on the forum page go to lets say the maple forum and on top of the lost above the first threadthere will be a tab saying start a new thread

I dont know much about the zones, Im not from America... our winters are a lot milder where I am, hard frosts but warmer day temps, some trees may start leafing out inwinter if the nights get warmer

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
You can slip pot them if you feel the need to do so. Major root work suould be done before buds begin to swell, whenever that may be. I'm not familiar with the seasons in South Africa...but we have Neli here who is very helpful and is probably familiar with your region.

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the seasons in South Africa...but we have Neli here who is very helpful and is probably familiar with your region.

" ..Temperature
Throughout the month of July daytime temperatures will generally reach highs of around 20°C that's about 67°F. At night the average minimum temperature drops down to around 5°C, that's 41°F.

In recent times the highest recorded temperature in July has been 29°C that's 84°F, with the lowest recorded temperature -1°C, about 30°F. ...."
(www.myweather2.com/City-Town/South-Africa/Pretoria/climate-profile.aspx)

Last edited:

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I think I would wait. If the tree has already lost its leaves then the amount of roots it grows will be minimal during its dormancy. I would repot in the spring and watch them bounce back.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
When do maples start to push new growth in your area? Based on your average temperatures right now, I would assume that you have a fairly short and mild winter, in which case, the trees will likely start to grow in a short while. I would probably wait for the buds to start to swell and do a reasonable re-pot with root work then. This may be in a month or less for you (just guessing, though).

Reaction score
Thanks, Ill wait then
Fruit trees blossom and push buds usually in the first week or two of September, but summer isnt really in full swing until October, then the heat kicks in :D
I'll have to see about the maples but we are having a slightly warmer winter, hard frosts/ black frost at night and then maybe a few odd days of higher day temps like 22/24°C ...really weird
A mame chinese elm went dormant and then pushed new leaves after the first cold passed-keeping it inside now

Reaction score
Well I slip potted those two maples when I posted the first part and they're still alive bit doing nothing. Spring is reluctant to start in full.

The maple I bought first and didnt repot surprised me last week with the first few leaves
I must say the suspense almost killed me to watch it every day for those first leaves, and once they were open the rest followed

Its still opening up though-
Its the first time Ive ever seen Jap maples or any maple bud out- Its my first summer with deviduous trees
the leaves look amazing.

Do all green jap maples look like this at first? Because it cant be a grafted one as there is no graft and to my knowledge of availability such trees are more myth than reality in SA, not speaking for Bloodgoods and dissectums

Reaction score
I guess this is just a update about a leaf but Im so pumped for the summer now :)
Will it bud back further naturally? Im thinking propagate it by cuttings, fertilise organically and plant out in the ground next year

Ps Its a pinkie thickness stick in a pot that split early (within first two inches above ground) twice and then almost never again, but its very beautiful for a maple newbie like myself

Attachments

• 20140825_170749.jpg
    20140825_170749.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Top Bottom