What is the best way to get this tree, to go from this
oliveforforum.jpg

to this
Black_olive_Front_View.jpg

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is your climate conducive to growing olive in the ground? The first pic looks to me like one that had been grown out for some time to get that hefty trunk.

Never fun to hear but I don't think that could be accomplished in a reasonable amount of time in a pot.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Growing in the ground is the only way to do that. You will have to introduce some movement, most likely by growing out and cutting back several times over the couple of years.

paddles

Yamadori
Reaction score
I separated the two trunks, into two trees, and put them into the ground yesterday (If they die, I shall just deny ever having had them) My next question is, for trunk developement, can I, Should I treat it the same as I would a Maple type tree? It's strange but in most books, and websites, whilst they say that olive trees are suitable as bonsai trees, there is no further information.

Ashbarns

Mame
Reaction score
Hi Paddles you have done the right thing, now just leave them for about 5 years. You will find that the bases will swell and in this time take advantage of training the new growth into the trunk you want. This is achievable after you cut the the existing trunk(s) back.

Ash

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Forget them for a few years. Don't prune, don't cut back, feed regularly and leave them alone.

Then trunk chop and repeat.

Will

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I separated the two trunks, into two trees, and put them into the ground yesterday (If they die, I shall just deny ever having had them) My next question is, for trunk developement, can I, Should I treat it the same as I would a Maple type tree? It's strange but in most books, and websites, whilst they say that olive trees are suitable as bonsai trees, there is no further information.

Check out Doug's site.

Top Bottom