On the trail of the Vine Maple

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have you collected any hairy manzanita in your area?
You know, they grow around here, but all my previous attempts failed and I have not messed with any of the Manzanita for several years. I feel more confident now after seeing a few collected ones. I think they would make some very unique bonsai.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice! I'm up in Corvallis and those things are everywhere here. Haven't tried to make a bonsai of one yet. Do you know if they lend themselves well to it?
I have found them to be quite acceptable subjects. I do not try to make a little bonsai from them, in fact I prefer to work with them in clumps, which they do very nicely. The leaves will reduce to an acceptable size for a medium sized composition. You won't get me to say anything negative about this tree, I'm in love and love over comes all obstacles. LOL

BPfeil

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have found them to be quite acceptable subjects. I do not try to make a little bonsai from them, in fact I prefer to work with them in clumps, which they do very nicely. The leaves will reduce to an acceptable size for a medium sized composition. You won't get me to say anything negative about this tree, I'm in love and love over comes all obstacles. LOL
I may just have to go looking for a nice one then! On a side note, any nurseries here in Oregon that you would recommend for bonsai material?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice! I'm up in Corvallis and those things are everywhere here. Haven't tried to make a bonsai of one yet. Do you know if they lend themselves well to it?

When about 12 years old very first Bonsai seen in my life was at Corvallis Library in spring. It was beautiful Vine Maple and so inspired my continuing hobby of Bonsai 58 years later;). Excellent subject.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They are very difficult as bonsai. How many do we see? I've lived with manzanita much of my life but never knew them as "hairy." I would make a serious effort to ground layer them.

There is variety known as Hairy:eek::confused:Manzanita.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is variety known as Hairy:eek::confused:Manzanita.
I see three types of Manzanita here. One grows as an upright small tree, ten to fifteen feet, very beautiful silver gray wood with red/ purple live veins. Another grows only as a small bush and the other is a prostate grower along the ground and up over rocks. I believe this is the one known as ' hairy', the underside of the leaf is hairy, and this is the only one I've seen in cultivation. I have some really nice specimens on the property, I just don't have the sack to dig yet. They are my kryptonite, I love them and desire to hold them, but they flee my approach and I pursue, and they expire. Now, I just look at them in situ, enjoy them immensely, do some cleaning around them and a little trimming. I find they respond well to directional pruning and trimming, as long as they're in the ground. Someday, in a pot.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
We have "hairy" up here (saw a great specimen last weekend) but like you said I haven't seen them in a pot. Carvers love the big old dead stems/limbs as they finish well and are a intense dark red/purple....making a unique sculpture.

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Why don't I see anyone layering them? From what I know now about extreme ground layering I'd sure give it a go. Long ago in Japan town in SF I saw a pointy han kengai manzanita. I asked the guy what it was growing in...he said," stick finger in" it was in sphagnum moss.

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Check out the Manzanita thread. I need to update it anyway. I'll post some pics of Hairy Manzanita (A. columbiana) there too. All mine were nursery starts.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Signs of life, a little over two months and it's finally busting out some new growth. Most of the limbs died back after a deer nibbled all the leaves off. There's more than you can see in my lousy pic, all the way up the dead looking piece. IMG_20170903_182013058.jpg

Top Bottom