Opinions on an Amur Maple being auctioned

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Someone with a lot of Bonsai Vision and Experience has seen the great potential this Amur Maple offers, the same way Walter Pall is seeing it and that is obviously not BVF,..... Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder....
Sure, and sometimes the beholder is half blind and all stupid.

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
I used to respect you Brian but now all I see is just another Bonsai Snob...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Dang this thread went no holds barred quick. I think bonsai is now in a Kimura lock.

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will hurt forever."

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dang this thread went no holds barred quick. I think bonsai is now in a Kimura lock.

I’ve seen it happen many times on this site. Passions run high in this hobby/art and rightfully so. I will say though, that the worst digressions always come back to the tree. Take it as a sign of a quality thread! IMHO

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I’ve seen it happen many times on this site. Passions run high in this hobby/art and rightfully so. I will say though, that the worst digressions always come back to the tree. Take it as a sign of a quality thread! IMHO

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
You can say that again.?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Somebody really great at virtuals will turn that into a great tree.....

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Somebody really great at virtuals will turn that into a great tree.....
??
The way it's died back, there's hardly anything to work with once the wood has rotted away. Nothing to graft on to at the base to save it.

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The Flower Market (Kurtis Smith) has had remarkable success selling trees, despite consistently posting worthless junk for sale There is a private group chat among a few of us on facebook essentially dedicated to joking about what he posts for sale. I have spoken to him at length, and he is not a bonsai or pre-bonsai grower. He has also repeated broken auction rules.

but besides that, i think it's important to take into consideration that in the big world of the united states you have many, many options in the $100-150 range.

I can name you 20 places in the USA where $100 would be better spent -- places where i wish I could buy trees from as easily as most of you!

in this case, beauty is not in the eye of the beholder. Walter Pall is simply taking the opportunity to advocate the style of tree that is closely associate with his name. A global gain in popularity of the 'fairy tale' style--no matter how it is executed as long as it is being attempted and discussed--is a gain for Walter.
juicy private group chat...lol, ya, the stuff that gets posted on the FB sites by people leaves a little to be desired many times

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I used to respect you Brian but now all I see is just another Bonsai Snob...
You certainly haven’t treated me with any respect, but at least you finally figured out I’m a Bonsai snob. That is true, and I’m rather pleased that my study, time, and investment in the craft has placed me in a different category in your eyes.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Something torn out of the ground, chopped, and then chopped again seemingly in the same year...

....isn't worth $140.

It Goin' Die.

Poo container....you'd have to pay me to dispose of it.....

Sorce

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
I'm completely amazed that only Walter Pall, Dav4 and myself see any merit in this Amur Maple...
BVF I take the Snob remark back I still respect you for your Bonsai Skills...
Mr Smoke good to see you have Moderated your Post's content. I also respect your Bonsai skills...

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
The Flower Market (Kurtis Smith) has had remarkable success selling trees, despite consistently posting worthless junk for sale There is a private group chat among a few of us on facebook essentially dedicated to joking about what he posts for sale. I have spoken to him at length, and he is not a bonsai or pre-bonsai grower. He has also repeated broken auction rules.

but besides that, i think it's important to take into consideration that in the big world of the united states you have many, many options in the $100-150 range.

I can name you 20 places in the USA where $100 would be better spent -- places where i wish I could buy trees from as easily as most of you!

in this case, beauty is not in the eye of the beholder. Walter Pall is simply taking the opportunity to advocate the style of tree that is closely associate with his name. A global gain in popularity of the 'fairy tale' style--no matter how it is executed as long as it is being attempted and discussed--is a gain for Walter.

The comments regards Kurt Smith and The Flower Market are pure exaggerated BullShit…
I've known Kurt and his Bonsai shop for years and he is Top Drawer & a Bonsai Enthusiast, yes he is also a Salesman, so what....He grows many Starter Bonsai for re-sale in his Green house's, he also Grows & Maintains many Mature Bonsai as well as he actively buys Bonsai collections... mostly broken up and resold for profit, why not.....saddly his only Interne sales are thru FB Auctions, he has thousands of Premium Bonsai for sale, if nearby he is well worth a visit.....His pricing is average not too high and not cheap...Kurts primary business is growing Flowers for re-sale as a Florist Shop, his Bonsai Hobby turned into a well managed Bonsai business,

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21616

@Bolero If you like this tree, or the stuff Kurtis sells in general, that is perfectly fine! As I noted in my post, Kurtis clearly has a market that he does the cater too! By definition, the people outside his market are those who have no interest in his trees. For some reason i doubt that Walter Pall is a repeat-customer of his... or would ever buy a tree from him!

a very similar Amur Maple

I don't know how many people will see the similarities that you see. But it is possible that you are seeing these 2 trees in a way that others do not. I would encourage you to work with material that you find interesting, without expecting others to find that same material worthwhile. We all see trees differently -- in this case, the views are pretty one-sided, but that assessment remains collectively subjective, not objective.

Attachments

• IMG_1312.png
    IMG_1312.png
    107.1 KB · Views: 44

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
Derek you have gone out of your way to disparage a bonafide Bonsai man, that is not appropriate in any way....Kurt Smith is an Expert Bonsai man he knows his Bonsai.....
I agree that we don't have to agree on the Likability of a particular tree but leave the BS out...
Why have you posted the Red Pine Pictures ???
Great Minds think alike and that is why Walter Pall and I like the Amur Maple of the OP...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21616

edit: nevermind

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom