Orange experiment

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I stuck a few orange seeds, from an orange I was eating, in a cup of dirt on my window sill last year not really expecting anything to happen and 3 sprouted. I put 2 in my garden, one in the shade and one in full sun and the third stayed in the cup by my window. The 2 in the garden got eaten by something but the one in my window lived on the window for 6 months before I put it in a pot outside this March. It seems to be doing better now in the sun but I feel it's smaller than it should be. It's a little bigger than the other 2 when they died months ago. The pot I put it in had fertilized potting soil in it but it’s super old so I’m sure the fertilizer is long gone. Should I fertilize? There’s also a desert rose in there that I’ll probably separate too. I want this little guy to become a bonsai.. eventually.. sometime in the very very distant future it seems. Lol Anyway, any advice would be very much appreciated.

A few weeks after sprouting..(October)
DC0EA3CC-8CC1-4063-9316-8C3D28C5BE8B.jpeg

A few days after being put outside.. (March)
47B465A5-3938-4D10-8A48-3A3D98FEA21B.jpeg

And today..
75276101-B82E-4187-8F3C-421570C8FCE6.jpeg

Last edited:

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Definitely fertilise any citrus when they are growing. Citrus are normally quite hungry plants and yours is already looking quite yellow. They can also suffer from other nutrient deficiencies so a fertiliser with trace elements would be best.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Virgin Mudwoman!

Where the leaf and thorn grows becomes very thick, reverse taper in itself.

So when you cut it back, you must be very diligent about removing multiple buds.

Problem is...they fall off easy too so it's a catch 22, you gotta be careful the last one doesn't get knocked off.

Not a easily eye pleasing Bonsai subject.
But fun.

Matter of fact.....keep that Mary there and it might NOT grow thorns!

Sorce

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
"Matter of fact.....keep that Mary there and it might NOT grow thorns!"

Yeah, as I recall thorns were not especially popular in her family.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
@sorce I’ve been reading and it seems like more trouble than it’s worth and might end up looking like a turd but this one is more of a “for the story” tree and that’s really the reason I want to keep it alive more than anything.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a citrus I started from seed in 2016. I dont remember if its a lemon or tangerine or something else, I started several different things and some died, then the rest got mixed up.
Mine stays inside in my kitchen window most of the year except for a few months in the summer because I'm in a cold climate. It hasn't grown as fast as one might if it were in a more tropical climate outside all the tme, but still it has trudged along. But here's a progression from just after sprouting till a couple weeks ago. I cut it back a little after the picture with my son in the flag shirt to make it branch out.

Good luck with yours, they're fun!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-04-12-22-23-26.png
    Screenshot_2019-04-12-22-23-26.png
    162.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20190331_211121.jpg
    IMG_20190331_211121.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 20
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I have a citrus I started from seed in 2016. I dont remember if its a lemon or tangerine or something else, I started several different things and some died, then the rest got mixed up.
Mine stays inside in my kitchen window most of the year except for a few months in the summer because I'm in a cold climate. It hasn't grown as fast as one might if it were in a more tropical climate outside all the tme, but still it has trudged along. But here's a progression from just after sprouting till a couple weeks ago. I cut it back a little after the picture with my son in the flag shirt to make it branch out.

Good luck with yours, they're fun!

That’s awesome. What do you use for fertilizer?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Nice seedling. They do like mildly acidic soil to avoid chlorosis.

Citrus are a interesting bonsai subject. They tend to be very angular, very straight, you need to be on top of either wiring in movement on shoots before they get too old. Wood is very hard and brittle after about a year, or two. Alternative would be clip and grow to get movement, otherwise you will end up very with straight, upright tree. Not a problem, but something to keep in mind.

Trunk and bark of citrus tends to be bright green for several years, then ages to white-ish. Eventually at about 20 years it becomes darker brown or black with a pebble texture. Really looks great, if you can get to the 20+ year mark.

Fragrant flowers and fruit are always a plus.

Top Bottom