Organisation?

MaxTheSpy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ive been looking for a good way to organise and keep track of my trees, I bought a lot of starts this year and they all look the same I was wondering what you all thought about getting aluminum plant tags and then a number metal punch and making a unique ID for each? Is there a better way to do this?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Plastic labels (the ones that you stick in a pot) are my preferred material. Scratch the name/cultivar in with a nail, then trace it with a waterproof marker.
I can reuse those and they don't degrade as fast as metals. But aluminium should last at least a few years. The issue with them is that they're light, usually don't have sticks so you need to let them hang from branches, and they tend to blow in the wind damaging bark and branches.
I've seen people use icicle sticks as well.

MaxTheSpy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Plastic labels (the ones that you stick in a pot) are my preferred material. Scratch the name/cultivar in with a nail, then trace it with a waterproof marker.
I can reuse those and they don't degrade as fast as metals. But aluminium should last at least a few years. The issue with them is that they're light, usually don't have sticks so you need to let them hang from branches, and they tend to blow in the wind damaging bark and branches.
I've seen people use icicle sticks as well.

Ive seen a few aluminum tags online that have like 4 inch steaks so you can stick them in the dirt, I might go for those as well, maybe just try a few out and see what works best

DrBonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I tried to use PVC or Plastic Plant labels but Issue was Sharpie Permanent Marker would fade.
Then I discovered this Garden Marker Pen
Hopefully this will work a little better.

MaxTheSpy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've considered this myself, I think I like the look of small copper or bronze disc better than the aluminum. You can buy a full stamp kit and 200 blanks on Amazon for about $20

Bastex 36pc Steel Metal Number and Letter Alphabet ID Stamping Punch Tool Set Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N8YJILP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_6Tr0Ab3GSQFCH

Copper would match the trees very well. Ill have to take a look, thank you, My plan is to use a medium guage wire and steak them down to the dirt,. not the tree

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The easiest way to keep track is to just take photos everytime you do something, and find a place that will always be available to you to review them....here...a Google drive...a dozen prints under the mattress with scribbled notes....

IMO...

Once you have enough trees/controls for notes to be of use...
You no longer have time to take notes that will be of use..

Sorce

MaxTheSpy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The easiest way to keep track is to just take photos everytime you do something, and find a place that will always be available to you to review them....here...a Google drive...a dozen prints under the mattress with scribbled notes....

IMO...

Once you have enough trees/controls for notes to be of use...
You no longer have time to take notes that will be of use..

Sorce

I mean I keep notes on close to 30 trees, I read and write more every time I do anything. Usefull to have them all.

Top Bottom